Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2024

On This Day: The Savior Who Lived Our Stories


Now at the feast the governor was accustomed to release for the crowd any one prisoner whom they wanted. And they had then a notorious prisoner called Barabbas. So when they had gathered, Pilate said to them, “Whom do you want me to release for you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” For he knew that it was out of envy that they had delivered him up. Besides, while he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent word to him, “Have nothing to do with that righteous man, for I have suffered much because of him today in a dream.” Now the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus. The governor again said to them, “Which of the two do you want me to release for you?” And they said, “Barabbas.” Pilate said to them, “Then what shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” They all said, “Let him be crucified!” And he said, “Why? What evil has he done?” But they shouted all the more, “Let him be crucified!”(Matthew 27:14-23)

 

   In the early 90’s I was given three mentors who taught me how to watch out for the curse of self-protection in church-folk, how to live a life of seeking to both know and do the will of God, and how to apply freedom ministry to people who are stuck in their walk with God because of unresolved “stuff”.

   Since that time, I have been amazed at how these three dimensions of life have worked together. I have seen positive things happen when people want freedom from self-protection so they can know and do the will of God with freedom in Jesus Christ their Lord. And I have seen what I was warned about where more people in churches are committed to self-protection than to knowing and doing the will of God and would prefer NOT having freedom in Christ to walk in the “obedience of faith”.

   And today I stood at the Scripture above absolutely gobsmacked (overwhelmed with wonder, surprise, or shock: astounded ~ Miram Webster) that I was experiencing all three of those ministries coming together like a blessing of God’s healing grace.

   First, it was the realization that I was witnessing people living out of “self-protection” in Jesus’ day exactly as I have experienced it in my lifetime. But I was also feeling the “knowing and doing the will of God” part of meditating on Scripture because I could see how God was leading me to meet him in what David called my “secret heart” and experience him in a real and personal way. And I could see how this was a freedom-experience because my tears told me that God was freeing me from things people had done to me by showing me my Savior going through the same things.

   For a very long time, I have attached to Jesus as what Isaiah called, “a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief”. I would never suggest I know this like he did, but those words describe so many things I have gone through, and I have often found comfort that this is the way God wanted us to think of his Son before he ever came as our Messiah.

   But today is the first time I saw Jesus living out such a familiar scene in my life in his mock trial. I have known he was my substitute for ages. And my recent journey through a book of false teachings has made this front-and-center for me as the author has tried to prove Jesus was not my substitute who propitiated God’s wrath against my sin. But I have never seen it in this particular passage that Jesus was going through things that so many of us could say, “I’ve been treated like that!”

   It is Sunday morning, and I have time before home church to go for a prayer drive on a lonely backroad. I am blessed beyond words to have this in my heart, and to know it was and is my heavenly Father’s special gift of grace for me today.

   So, self-protection be gone! Experiencing God, here I come! Father, lead me to freedom in Christ more than I have ever known it, I pray in Jesus’ name!

 

© 2024 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment