Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

On This Day: Feeling the Weight of Scripture Fulfilled


While he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “The one I will kiss is the man; seize him.” And he came up to Jesus at once and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” And he kissed him. Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you came to do.” Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus and seized him. And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?” At that hour Jesus said to the crowds, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me? Day after day I sat in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me. But all this has taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples left him and fled. (Matthew 26:47-56)

 

   I titled this “feeling the weight” of Scripture fulfilled because that is the only way to describe what is happening within me as I consider the wonder and certainty that comes from God keeping his word.

   Part of this comes from spending close to 5 months traveling “down the garden path” of a book saturated with false teachings about Jesus. And the main focus is to continue Satan’s question to Eve in the Garden, “Did God actually say…?”

   Satan knows what happens when people rely on God’s word. He knows how unstoppable we are when we believe what is written, and when we seek “to live by every word that comes from the mouth of God.” So the thing he must attack is the integrity of Scripture.

   I began my morning in one of my cyclical “moods”. I have taken great comfort in John Piper describing it as waking up feeling like he isn’t even a Christian! But this made God’s word stand out to me all the more as I saw how God was speaking into my despondency of heart with exactly what I needed to hear from him. I would never make it through the day if I stayed in what John Bunyan described as “the Slough of Despond”.[1]

   Instead, as I read God’s word while talking to him about how in the world he would ever get through to me, he smiled once again and opened my mind to understand the Scriptures. And what I needed to see was a Savior who would fulfill Scripture even though it was taking him to the cross where he would drink “the cup” of God’s wrath against my sin. He would fulfill Scripture even though he had just told his disciples how this meant one of their own number would betray him, and how they would all scatter the moment the Shepherd was “struck”.

   Now let’s go a few days ahead in the script and see what Jesus would say to his disciples when he began appearing to them after his resurrection:

Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled” (Luke 24:44).

   That’s the point. Jesus would not fail to fulfill Scripture, including the ones that spoke of him being betrayed, abandoned, despised, rejected, pierced, crushed, chastised, wounded, oppressed, afflicted, judged, anguished, and put to death.

   But that is why we can take hold of this glorious prophecy by faith:

But he was pierced for our transgressions;
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
    and with his wounds we are healed.
(Isaiah 53:5).

   Jesus appearing to his disciples as the resurrected Savior was the greatest “return to joy” anyone could ever experience. Not only was the crucified Savior alive, but,

“We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4).

   Yes, I am encouraged because the Scripture has spoken. I have a living Savior who gives me life. He fulfilled all the Scriptures that spoke of his first coming, he will fulfill all those speaking of his return, and he leads me out of the Slough of Despond more often than I wish I needed!  

 

© 2024 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)



[1] John Bunyan lived from 1628-1688. While he was in prison for his preaching of the Gospel, he wrote the timeless allegory of the Christian life entitled, “The Pilgrim's Progress.” One of my early gifts from my wife was an old copy of this book she had found in a used bookstore. His description of “the Slough of Despond” captures how many Christians feel at times as negative thoughts and feelings overwhelm them with discouragement and hopelessness. I have often found comfort in realizing that this feeling of depression and despondency is so common that it was written into a classic over three centuries ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment