Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ My Testimony of Testing God’s Word

          When I hear anyone attack the Bible, or its message of salvation in Jesus Christ, I immediately react as someone who has experienced at least four decades of conscious recognition that the Bible has won every battle against it. At fifty-five years, my first childhood thoughts of God have germinated into the mustard plant of faith just as Jesus promised would happen for those who come to him. Far from feeling blind-faith in things that cannot be verified, I have a lifetime of reasons to put my trust in the God, and his word, that have proven themselves to be absolutely trustworthy.

          No more do I feel those teenaged fears that maybe these arguments prove the Bible, or my faith in Jesus Christ, to be unfounded. No longer do I wonder if science has proven creation impossible, since all claims to evolution have been proven false.

          No longer do I fear that atheists may have more proof against the reality of God than I have for the reality of God, for I now know that atheists are only describing their blindness towards the God who has clearly made himself known.

          No longer do I feel insecure because someone claims the Bible is not true, or that some other religious book is better, because I have had plenty of time to see that the Bible’s foundation, and validations, and testimonies, rise up into a reality of amazing glory that is clearly supreme over all its opponents.

          While getting older is beginning to show its negative effects, I know that I have a very positive testimony for those who are early on in their exploration of the Bible’s assertions and often feel overwhelmed by the boisterous claims of the Bible’s unreliability. I speak as one who now knows very clearly that Jesus’ enemies have to speak loudly to cover up the fact that they have nothing to say. “Crucify him! Crucify him!” his enemies chant when they cannot give a reason why anyone would want to do so.

          I present my years of growing certainty and confidence in the Bible, and its divine author, for you who have been wondering if the God of love, and grace, and mercy is as confidently knowable as the Bible claims. I would like to help you put your trust in him, and not in his opponents who try to terrify you with their meaningless noise. Jesus said, And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent” (John 17:3), and I testify to you that this is not only the best and highest good a human being can experience, but that it is as true and trustworthy as the Son of God continues to proclaim.

          So, to you who wonder if you should completely open up your heart to God and his word, I lend you my years. My five-and-a-half decades testify to the faithfulness of God that his word reveals. I confidently affirm, no matter what attack is leveled against the God of the Bible, or the Bible of God, “Let God be true though every one were a liar(Romans 3:4).

          And, I am now old enough to enter into this testimony with a glad and sincere heart: “I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken” (Psalm 37:25).

          From my heart,

          Monte

 

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment