Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Pastoral Ponderings ~ When the Brokenhearted Give the Comfort Received

          Once again, I slept in because of this miserable cold. However, instead of yesterday’s God-limiting thoughts, I wondered how God would surprise me this morning. It is rather fun to be surprised by God in a not-surprising kind of way.
          It began with the reminder, “Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit.”[1] I realized that, if I abide in Christ about my own brokenness, he will work through me to bear the fruit of healing in the lives of others. Yesterday’s lessons of comfort to me are intended to turn into daily experiences of comfort for others.
          The next reminder was that the church is made up of many different parts, with many different functions.[2] Jesus gave many kinds of men to be many kinds of leaders, over a church with many kinds of ministry, to many kinds of members.[3] The aim of the Christ-coordinated functioning of his body is that the saints are equipped for “the work of ministry.”[4] The work of ministry is “for building up the body of Christ.”[5] The body of Christ will keep being built up “until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God.”[6] This unity is qualified as the “mature manhood”[7] of the “one new man,”[8] which is the church.
          Jesus’ plan for his body, the church, is that we all work together in such ways that it “makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.”[9] Part of this body-life experience includes the way the church joins God’s work in his ministry to the brokenhearted.[10] And, part of this church-wide fellowship of ministry must include people bearing fruit in the very areas they have learned to abide in Christ. As Paul stated things:
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. 6 If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. 7 Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.[11]
          The point right now is that, when God works to “comfort us in all our affliction,” the aim of this work is, “so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
          This is an incredible excuse remover! While our sark would be tempted to declare bankruptcy in the comforting-others category, the new heart says that, if “we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings,” it is not so that we can excuse ourselves from serving others in love, but that, “through Christ we share more abundantly in comfort too.” This means that, instead of acting like our excessive suffering excuses us, it actually sets us up for even more comfort, which means we are more “able to comfort” other people in other afflictions, no excuses accepted.
          This means that, our expectation of God healing the brokenhearted and binding up our wounds cannot end with us. We cannot picture a hospital ward in which all of us are patients and Jesus the only Doctor. He is the Great Physician, yes, but the very nature of his body, his church, this holy temple that is being  built together as a dwelling place for God by his Spirit,[12] is that he reproduces himself in all the rest of us so that all the rest of us get healed and start doing the same things for others that he has done for us.
          To be specific, Paul says that, “if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation.” The way I am to think of all my afflictions, realizing that I fit the description of “those who are in any affliction,” as much as anyone else, is that my afflictions set me up for God’s comfort and salvation. This means that my experiences of God’s comfort and salvation is for the comfort and salvation of any other believers God brings into my life.
          When I take this back to the lessons of yesterday, it includes these components:
·         God comforts me when I am brokenhearted by being near to me, so that I can comfort others with the nearness of Christ in me, the hope of glory. My ministry to others should leave them feeling that Christ is near to them.[13]
·         God saves me when I am crushed in spirit so that the way I am comforted with my salvation is for the comfort and salvation of my brothers.[14]
·         The comfort I experience when I know that God does not despise me in my broken-and-contrite-heart condition becomes a comfort that others experience from me as my comfort causes them to know that God does not despise them while their spirit and heart are broken.[15]
·         When I feel that my brokenhearted condition is healed, and my wounds are bound up, I then pass this comfort on to others as Jesus works through my part of the body of Christ to heal other broken hearts, and bind up the wounds of my Christian family.[16]
·         When I experience God dwelling with me in my contrite and lowly condition, and I feel him reviving my spirit and heart, it will not be long before God connects me to other contrite and lowly spirits in order to help them experience what it is like when God dwells with us to revive our hearts and spirits together.[17]
·         Jesus brings good news to my poverty, binds up my broken heart, proclaims liberty to my captivity, opens my prison doors, proclaims the time of God’s favor, his promise of vengeance against his enemies, comforts me when I mourn, granting me glory instead of ashes, gladness instead of mourning, praise instead of a faint spirit, rebuilt instead of ruined, and raised up instead of devastated, so that “those who are in any affliction,” receive the same comforts through me.[18]
          While a consideration of such things raises all kinds of questions of the how-to-do-it variety, our putting-these-things-into-practice[19] does not begin with how, but who. When the “who” is the Father speaking to us through his word, Jesus leading us as our head, and the Spirit fellowshipping with us for our growth in Christ, then we say “Yes, Lord!” before having any clue how to do it. As the disciples followed Jesus to Jerusalem, still not understanding what he meant by his impending arrest, suffering, and death by crucifixion, we can follow Jesus wherever he leads, and whatever his voice tells us to do.[20] If we will follow, he will make apparent what to do next, and how to both receive and share comfort in the body of Christ.
          In practical terms, I see this as in a mixed-up-only-God-could-do-it kind of way. Since the body of Christ is made up of many parts,[21] and we know that these parts will be in all kinds of different stages of freedom and maturity in Jesus Christ, we can expect there to be a whole range of experiences of people receiving and giving comfort to one another. We can expect the unexpected. We can expect people who appear the most broken to receive healing in such a way that it immediately returns blessing and comfort on those who participated in that work of God. We can expect to come together in the limitations of what we know, only to find that God had much more planned for a particular time of fellowship than what anyone could have imagined.
          After all, we are dealing with, “the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”  We know by faith that he is, “the Father of mercies and God of all comfort.” This means that he “comforts us in all our affliction.” Therefore, what we expect these realities to do to us, and through us, is based on the limitless perfections of God, not the limitations of our brokenhearted condition.
          Once we see our brokenheartedness in relation to God’s glory, we can no longer think that he would comfort us for our benefit alone. That is excessively small for the infinite and eternal immensity of the Triune. When he comforts us, it makes us like him. He “comforts us in all our affliction,” which means that, for us to be like him, we would have to “comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
          If we will walk by faith that God is working for our comfort, and for the comfort of others through us, and ask God to save us from limiting our expectations to ourselves and our sarkiness, he will work “comfort and salvation” into whole gatherings of believers so that many expressions of the body of Christ will feel the togetherness of God returning us to joy.[22]
          Paul gives us an example he clearly expects us to follow. When he said, “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ,”[23] he surely expected us to keep that in mind whenever he showed ways he was imitating Christ. Since he was imitating Christ by comforting others in the same way he had experienced Christ’s comforts, we can take to heart that both ourselves individually within the body of Christ, and our particular gathering of the body of Christ fellowshipping together, can imitate Paul in his imitation of our Savior. Jesus tells us how it is done, and Paul shows us how it is done, so we have everything we need to do it.[24]
          With that in mind, when Paul says, “Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort,”[25] we can have the same hope; even when we can’t imagine how our own sufferings could ever feel like comfort. Tell God you’re “in” for the kind of body-life that receives and gives comfort the way God has determined and designed, and something will happen to show you the next step in that experience.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)








[1] John 15:5
[2] I Corinthians 12 and 14 give a clear picture of what this looks like.
[3] Ephesians 4:11-12, with Ephesians 4:11-16 as the context.
[4] Ephesians 4:12
[5] Ephesians 4:12
[6] Ephesians 4:13
[7] Ephesians 4:13
[8] Ephesians 2:14-16
[9] Ephesians 4:16
[10] God’s ministry to the brokenhearted was my focus in my previous blog post: http://in2freedom.blogspot.ca/2014/09/pastoral-ponderings-genuine-blessing.html
[11] II Corinthians 1:1-7
[12] Ephesians 2:19-22
[13] Psalm 34:18; Colossians 1:27
[14] Psalm 34:18; II Corinthians 1:6
[15] Psalm 51:17
[16] Psalm 147:3
[17] Isaiah 57:15
[18] Isaiah 61:1-4. While I am looking at this from the personal viewpoint of how God ministered these things to my heart, I keep it all in the context that I am just one part of the body of Christ doing these things in fellowship with all the rest of the body of Christ. Within Jesus’ body, there will be many degrees of experience of God’s healing for the brokenhearted, and passing on the comforts we have received to others within the body.
[19] Matthew 7:24-27
[20] John 10:27
[21] I Corinthians 12:20
[22] John 15:11 is one of man passages revealing God’s desires for our joy in Jesus Christ.
[23] I Corinthians 11:1
[24] II Peter 1:3-11 gives a glorious description of ways God enables us to be like him in the way we comfort one another.
[25] II Corinthians 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment