Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ The Higher and Deeper of the Revelation Journey

          Some years ago I noticed a pattern in Jesus conversation with a Samaritan woman that I now refer to as “the Higher and Deeper” Model.[1] The “Higher” refers to the way Jesus would draw attention to things about him that she could not have known. The “Deeper” refers to the way Jesus would draw attention to things within herself that were in need of him and his ministry.

          I now see that God continues this pattern of showing us Higher things about him that we didn’t already know or understand, and he shows us Deeper things about ourselves that are still in need of knowing him, usually in the Higher way he has just revealed.

          So, yesterday was definitely a Deeper. It actually started with a Higher, as God really ministered to me in his word,[2] but then quickly fell into a Deeper, a dross-focused[3] consciousness of some fairly miserable things about my soul-condition. I think the theological word, “Yucky”, would about cover everything.

          This morning I continued presenting my lament to God, wondering how much more dross he would reveal before turning down the fiery furnace a degree or two.[4] It wasn't long into my time with him that he made this clarification: “…and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God…”[5]

          I represent those people who have grown up as "good Christians". We struggle especially hard to appreciate the wonders of the gospel, that we are sinners in need of a Savior, and that God has provided all the Savior we could ever need (in Christ, that is, not in ourselves!). It isn’t that us “good Christians” have difficulty understanding the doctrines of salvation with our minds, but that we have difficulty experiencing them with our hearts.

          So, what stood out to me in this phrase was the "you have made them..." I do not have good standing with God because I am good. I do not have access to God because I have made a way to have access to God. Revelation 5 has already made this clear, that no one is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals.

          Once again I was faced with a micro-beatitudinal experience.[6] First God blesses us by showing us our poverty until we mourn the condition of our souls. Then he brings us to the meek consciousness that acknowledges we can do nothing to fix what is wrong with our souls. And that brings us to hunger and thirst for what God will give us by faith.

          If experiencing poverty of spirit, and mourning, and feeling meek in the knowledge that I can do not one good thing to help myself, is all an indication of blessing, I was feeling very blessed this morning! Now God has my attention on what he has made me as part of this kingdom and priesthood, and curious about how he will carry on to completion this good work he has started in me (Philippians 1:6).

          From my Higher-and-Deeper heart,

          Monte

 

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)



[1] This conversation is recorded in John 4
[3] Dross: the worthless rock that is separated from a precious mineral in order to have the mineral in pure form.
[4] Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tried you in the furnace of affliction.” (Isaiah 48:10)
[5] Revelation 5:10
[6] See the Beatitudes of Matthew 5:1-12

No comments:

Post a Comment