Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Illustrations ~ Weeds, Monitors, and Infrared Light


Weeds, Monitors, and Infrared Light

          I remember a story my grampa told me close to 50 years ago. Walking with him through his garden, he pointed out that the weeds of sin grow much easier in our lives than the good plants of God, so we had to give special attention to pulling them out the moment that we noticed them. This morning I shared a story with a five year old boy, all the while wondering if such a story could leave an equally lasting impact.

          In our daycare, we have a video monitoring system so we can keep track of what the children are doing in each of the rooms (especially useful during nap times). This little boy knows that when we look through the monitor, it looks like there is light shining in the room, even though the children in the room see that it is dark. The infrared light from the camera is invisible to the naked eye, so it can only be seen when the camera shows it to us through the monitor.

          I told our little friend that the Bible is like the monitor that shows there is light shining, and that is why we believe in God. Other people who do not look at life through the Bible don't see the light we see, and so they don't believe in God. I told him that he would meet lots of people in his lifetime who do not believe in God, but it would always be because they could not see the light that we see through the Bible. I assured him that looking at life through the Bible will always mean that we see God even if others do not.

          I hope that this is a seed planted in good soil. I also hope I am in his life long enough to see how our God-thoughts germinate into the fruit of light when we sow the word of God in the hearts of little children. One day I will have to thank my grandfather for his simple gardening illustration (He has been gone for quite some time). Mind you, we may both be caught up in such glorious experiences of the light of heaven that we may no longer even remember such things. For now, I remember, and hope.

 

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment