Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ Rejoice, O Prisoners of Hope!

          The word of God gives us words to describe the condition we are in, making us feel that we are understood; and it gives us reason to rejoice and be glad no matter what condition we are in, or what feelings of grief and sorrow consume us. Today God brought these two comforts together in a very meaningful way.

 “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he,
humble and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.”
(vs 9)

          As I have already received so much encouragement from Revelation’s emphasis on the second coming of Jesus Christ, I found this prophecy about Jesus’ first coming to hold a wonderful call to joy.

          One of the things to keep in mind about the full picture of prophecy in the Scriptures is that the church has the best reason to believe all the New Testament prophecies of Christ’s second coming. The Old Testament saints were called to look forward to the coming of the Messiah, the Christ. They had many examples of God’s faithfulness to his covenant throughout their history, but they had no previous example of the Word becoming flesh to dwell among us.

          Simply because God was faithful and true, God’s people were expected to “rejoice greatly” because their king was coming to them. They were given a description of his arrival that was so specific, that when Jesus did come riding on a donkey’s colt, the crowds rejoiced greatly, just as the prophecy had declared.

          What New Covenant saints have now is the fulfillment of that prophecy, and all the other prophecies speaking of Jesus’ first coming. We have both the prophecies, and the many eye-witness testimonies of their fulfillment. Our brother Matthew loves to tell us that a specific experience in the life of Jesus on earth “was to fulfill” a specific prophecy spoken about him hundreds of years earlier.

          What ministers to me about this is that we are living in a one-time-only experience for God’s people. This time between the two comings of Jesus Christ has given us the myriad of prophecies declaring the certainty of Jesus’ first coming, the wonderful proofs of these prophecies being fulfilled in Jesus of Nazareth, and now a whole other collection of wonderful prophecies about the second coming of Jesus Christ. We are not merely living in anticipation of the Messiah’s first coming, hoping that the God who gave us Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Joseph, Moses, and David, would give us this one who was greater than them all. We are living in anticipation of the second coming of our Great God and Savior after knowing the amazing, and wonderful, and awesome way that God sent him into our world the first time.

          So, while Zechariah 9 reminds us of the Son of God’s first coming, riding into Jerusalem on a donkey’s colt, praised by the people who knew it was him; it also gives us this beautiful connection to Jesus’ second coming.

“Then the Lord will appear over them, and his arrow will go forth like lightning;
the Lord God will sound the trumpet
and will march forth in the whirlwinds of the south.” (vs 14)

          Whatever else this may have included, I found this ancient description of God coming to rescue his people very affirming. It reminds me of the promises of Jesus’ sudden appearing, that it will be as obvious as a bright bolt of lightning; it will be accompanied by the trumpet blast of God; and it will include gathering the elect from the four winds.

          In the midst of this chapter I was drawn to this amazing verse: “Return to your stronghold, O prisoners of hope; today I declare that I will restore to you double” (vs 12). While we may sometimes feel like we are prisoners of sin, or prisoners of bad experiences from the past, or prisoners of negative messages that have been spoken and confirmed throughout our lives, this particular imprisonment stands out from them all.

          The ring in my heart was, “Make me a prisoner of hope!” I want to be chained to hope, imprisoned by it, unable to resist its grasp, captured by its promises and declarations. I want to be overcome by hope, captivated by the testimonies and descriptions of what is in store for those who know and love the Lord Jesus Christ. I want to feel this hope poured into my heart, filling me to the full, overflowing to the joy of others.

          It took me all day to share these thoughts. It was particularly uplifting because, by the evening, I was tired, and my mind seemed to be hindered by a weary brain. I thought I would give one last try to bring these morning thoughts to an evening conclusion. What happened surprised me. God took me back to the joyful thoughts and feelings he had given me at the beginning of the day, led me into further meditation on these things, and returned me to joy just in time for a good night’s rest.

          I testify, not only to this one thought, but to the faithfulness of God to bless anyone who earnestly seeks him. As David said a long time ago, How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you.”[1]

          From my heart,

          Monte


© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)



[1] Psalm 139:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment