Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ The Blessing of Joining God's "After" Thoughts

          The past year or so has been characterized by a very painful loss for me. Relationships that were looking so hopeful were sabotaged and presently look irreparably broken. Most mornings I wake up with a wishful prayer that God would fix everything and make it better. He has not granted my wish, and so I look each day for the things his word is giving me for my daily strengthening in his grace.

          This morning God used Revelation 4:1 to minister to me about these very things: “After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven!”. I love the way that even one Scripture can present new treasures every day to those who keep digging deeper in the quarry of God’s word. Sometimes there are new thoughts and understandings of Scripture, and other times there are new applications to things we are going through. Today’s lessons came down to this:

          “After this,” had a direct application to John’s experience of this revelation from heaven. However, it reminded me that life is full of “after this” experiences with God. Part of moving forward in the Lord is being able to live “after this” without trying to drag the “this” along with us. This encouraged me to let go of what was before, and fully welcome what is happening now. Although God is infinite and eternal, and outside of space, time and matter, he still works in time so that one thing follows another. God clearly wants me to live in the “after this” moments of the present “here and now”, so that I can welcome all that he is doing without missing a thing because of over-thinking the things that are gone.

          “I looked,” reminded me that we are always looking at something, and I had to think about what John was looking at. I thought of how we are sheep, and sheep are always looking to their shepherd. If they stop looking to their shepherd, they easily become lost, and scared. When I get down about the broken relationships, it is because I am looking at things that have passed. I need to look at what is “after this”, and keep looking for what is now.

          “And behold,” tells me that there will be more things to see. I do not want to miss what I could behold today because I am busy dwelling on “before this” things. I do not want to miss what God might be doing in one of the people in my life now because I am still distressing over one of “them” who walked away. There are new people in my life, and I must “behold” what God could be doing in them. There is sharing that is happening at the moment that gives me something to behold while I let go of my grief that others have stopped sharing with me. Today’s time in the word encourages me to look for what God wants me to behold of his work right now.

          “A door standing open in heaven,” calls me to look for God’s open doors. I am often reminded of Jesus having an amazing ministry in one town all the way through to nightfall. The next morning his disciples found him off praying and told him that the people had already gathered to welcome his work. Jesus told them that he knew he was to move on to the next town because that was what his Father was doing.[1] Jesus knew that he had to be about his Father’s business,[2] and that could mean leaving an amazing opportunity for ministry in one place because his Father had a work for him to do somewhere else.[3] I trust that God is doing this for me in this situation, giving an open door of a heavenly nature so that I can join God in whatever work he is doing here and now no matter how I might miss the work I have had to leave behind somewhere else.

          This is the essence of how God ministered to me today. By lifting my eyes to heavenly things, and considering what was on my Father’s mind, he has encouraged my heart with considerations of what he is doing now, in the “after this” moments. I am quite certain he had to speak to me about such things to help me stay in step with his Spirit. I look forward to seeing how this works out in the rest of this day.

          From my heart,

          Monte
 
 
© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)

[1] Luke 4:38-44
[2] Luke 2:49
[3] John 5:16-30

No comments:

Post a Comment