Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pastoral Ponderings ~ The World’s Gift of Worthlessness

          This morning I was considering the safety and security that is in Jesus Christ because he is the Amen, the faithful and true witness,”[1] and I suddenly noticed something I have never really thought about before. Many people believe that they are putting off Christianity because it is oppressive. They do not like the sense that there are rules, things to do or not to do. They do not like the idea of being measured by a standard of goodness that is impossible to keep or attain, and that seems to change from church to church, from denomination to denomination, and even from one generation to the next. They would rather stay away from God than think about how they are failing him, or what it would take to “fit in”.

          Instead, people turn to the world in the belief that the world accepts people just the way we are. They believe that they are fitting in because the world is loving, and the world is accepting, and the world is forgiving. How could they not feel safe in a world that believes that “anything goes”? As the world’s list of flaws gets smaller and smaller, people feel that they are safe to just be themselves, no matter what their self desires.

          However, look at all the messages the world is giving to people to tell them that, if we do not measure up, we will be rejected.

·         The Sports message is very clear. To players it is: “If you do not perform in a way that promotes the winning-legacy of our team, you will be traded.” To coaches it is: “If you do not lead this team to win games so that we can sell tickets and get a run at the trophy of our sport, you will be fired.”

·         The Endorsement message is very clear: “If you are in the winner’s circle, and you show promise of continuing to be there, we would love to have our name emblazoned on everything you wear, or drive, or own. After all, if everyone is looking at you, they will be noticing us as well. However, be assured that, our commitment is not to you, but to your place in the winner’s circle. As soon as someone else takes that place, our name will move to whoever that person is. We value our place in the spotlight more than we value people, so keep your value to us by holding your place.”

·         The Celebrity message is very clear: “As long as you entertain us and make us feel good things, and as long as your life is there to keep giving us the good feelings we need from you, we will buy tickets to see you, and buy your albums, and videos, and books, and souvenirs. When you no longer make us feel good, or when someone else makes us feel better than you do, we will discard you and move on to the next source of entertainment.”

·         The Divorce message is very clear: “When you no longer make me feel like I am in love with you, I will discard you and go looking for someone else who will give me the feeling I am looking for.”

·         The Abortion message is clear: “Even before you are born, if you have a flaw that would make my life difficult, or you were created against my will and desire, I will get rid of you. Also, if my life changes within those nine months, and you are no longer of benefit to me, I will terminate your existence. I am more important than you.”

·         The Family message is very clear: “If you start asking questions about where your bad dreams and painful memories come from, and you start making your kin uncomfortable by looking for the source of your feelings of worthlessness, we will confirm your feelings of worthlessness by cutting you off from the love and friendship of our family network. We look after ours, and if you make the right ‘ours’ feel uncomfortable, you are not one of ours. We will put you out on the curb where the garbage belongs.”

·         The Tolerance message is very clear: “We have decided that tolerance is the greatest virtue, and so we call the world to tolerate everything that anyone chooses to do with their lives, no matter how it affects anyone else. The one exception is that we will not tolerate anyone who suggests that anyone might be doing something wrong, especially if this is in reference to disobeying God, and even more especially if this reference to God includes the name ‘Jesus’.”

·         The Evolution message is very clear: “Human beings exist by random, unplanned changes that are continuing to this very day. The rule of the world is, ‘the survival of the fittest’. If you are the fittest among us, you will survive. If you are not the fittest, be sure we will trample you under our feet as we use your wretched, pitiful inferiority as the stepping stone up to our next level of evolutionary development. But take comfort in this, that if we discard you, and trample you, and stand on your head, and berate and belittle your weakness, that you are helping the rest of the human race to keep one step ahead of the apes who are trying to take over our planet!”

·         Even the Church message is very clear: “In our church we do things a certain way, the way the people who are already here have decided is most comfortable to them. If you mess with our comfort, or question the ‘core group’, or challenge the behavior of our ‘power brokers’, or draw attention to our ‘sacred cows’, be sure that our sacred cows are well-trained to drive nosey, pious, do-gooders out of our corral.”

          With all these examples of the world’s message that our worth is dependent on the fickle whims of people who are just as selfish as ourselves, perhaps you can see why I would find such security and safety in knowing that Jesus is “the Amen” of God[2] whose presence in my life declares that “all the promises of God find their Yes in him”.[3] You may also get some sense of why I am so drawn to linger over the revelation of Jesus as the faithful and true witness”[4] who makes me feel my worth and safety in his absolutely true assessment of my life, and in his faithfulness to carry out God’s plans and purposes[5] to make me in his own image and likeness.[6]

          At the same time, I would clarify that anyone of you who struggle with a deep feeling of worthlessness: you got that from the world, even if it is from worldliness in your family, or in churches. You did not get it from Jesus. Jesus’ promise is still true: Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”[7]It is actually the world’s burden that is intolerable. Jesus’ burden is light because he is the one carrying it! Come to him for rest!

          My conclusion is simple: the world has done me enough harm, and the Lord Jesus Christ has done me enough good, that I want to know what he witnesses against me so I can repent and walk in sweet fellowship with him, and I want to know what he witnesses for me, so I can keep growing up to be like him.[8] I have never known worth from anyone like I do from him, so I cannot leave him for a whole world of people who will leave me as soon as I bother them.

          Enough of that! I am with Jesus who brings me to know I have been his beloved brother from before time began[9], and will remain so throughout eternity,[10] because his love for me will never change.[11]

          Thank you, Jesus, for wanting me!

          From my heart,

          Monte
 

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)



[1] Revelation 3:14
[2] Revelation 3:14
[3] “For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.” (II Corinthians 1:20)
[4] Revelation 3:14
[5] And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)
[6] For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:29)
[7] Matthew 11:28-30
[8] The rebukes and encouragements of Christ are made very clear in the letters to the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3.
[9] For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers, (Hebrews 2:11); “even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. (Ephesians 1:4-6)
[10] And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’” (Revelation 21:3-4)
[11] “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.” (Jeremiah 31:3); For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

No comments:

Post a Comment