Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ The Gracious Love Letter

          Although I am teaching through the book of Revelation for the first time, I have taught on the letters to the seven churches (chapters 2-3) on a few occasions. One of the blessings of seeking God in his word as a way of life is that we come across passages that have taught us so many things already, and discover that God has even more gifts of grace for us to treasure and enjoy.

          I used to enjoy going to Grandma’s house because she served the same kind of food every time, and it added a new and fresh enjoyment to my young life (especially as a starving teenager!). In a similar way, God’s word gives us something new, and good, and encouraging every time we read it, no matter how many times we have already enjoyed a particular dinner. Something new stands out every single time, and it is always good (although some things must pass over our spiritual palate a few times before we develop a taste for them, if you know what I mean).

          I am now working through the seventh letter to the churches (Revelation 3:14-22), and cringing through Jesus’ declaration to a smug and self-satisfied church that they were so lukewarm he was very soon going to spew them out of his mouth. As soon as we allow ourselves to sincerely open our hearts to possibilities of how this applies to us, we enter the stage of the surgeon’s operating room, where painful admissions turn into healed wounds. As Eustace explained when Aslan turned him back from a dragon into a boy (in the movie, Voyage of the Dawn Treader), “It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain.”

          Well, this sort-of-hurting-kind-of-good-pain has opened my eyes to a new flavor in this letter to a lukewarm church. In previous experiences of this particular meal, I was quite aware of the intense bite of Jesus’ rebuke. It felt like all the red pepper flakes had balled up into one mass and I got them all in one mouthful. OUCH!!!

          Enough time has passed that the watering-of-the-eyes sting has worn off, and now a flavor stands out that I had not noticed before. Perhaps a condensed experience of hot pepper flakes prepared me; I’m not sure. All I know is that this journey through this letter has taught me something wonderful, and encouraging, and transforming, and I delight in what I have found more than I regret that I had not seen it before!

          The new lesson, or spiritual apprehension, is that this letter to the Laodicean church is a love-letter. Jesus’ response to a church that is so lukewarm to him that he was about to spit them out of his mouth is to do everything he can to get them back.

          Part of what fascinates me, especially in this day where writing letters (emails) has taken on a completely new dimension, is that Jesus was writing a letter to try to get people back. Of the seven letters, two of them were only encouragement to churches that were walking in fellowship and needed the reminder to keep on the path of love. The other five letters all needed a rebuke of some sort, but all with this same nuance of expression, that Jesus was writing a love letter to people he wanted back.

          In this case, Jesus did not want to spit out a church because it was lukewarm. He wanted them back. He was not writing a letter of irreversible judgment, or of disdain, or of disappointment, or of condemnation. This was not Jesus expressing a threat to people he could not stand, giving them one last chance to get their act together before he spews them out of his mouth. It is a declaration of reality, and warnings of danger, and a precise description of what is going on, and what is going to happen if nothing changes, but this is a love letter to people Jesus does not want to lose.

          This is also a grace-letter to people who cannot get back to him on their own. They cannot heat themselves up; they cannot keep the law in such a way that they could once again win his favor and approval through good works. This is a grace-letter reaching out to people with everything that God has for them to come back to him.

          This is grace calling people to feel their poverty, to mourn their wretched condition, to meekly accept they cannot fix themselves, and so hunger and thirst for the righteousness of Jesus Christ that they will turn back to him to receive him into their lukewarmness and have him heat them up and cool them down.[1]

          This is grace desiring to fill them with the living water that is hot like a mineral spring and would bring such soothing comfort to aching souls. This is grace seeking to fill a self-satisfied, lukewarm church with the living water that would make them cold and refreshing like a mountain stream satisfying parched souls.

          This morning’s meal has satisfied me for the day. However, I am also anticipating tomorrow morning’s offering of love and grace from the Lord Jesus Christ. He already has in mind what he will present for the feeding of my soul. And, it will do something more than what I have already enjoyed today.

          Epilogue: After I had finished the rough draft for this post, I was eating my oatmeal down in the daycare room while watching the children play. One of the little boys came to see what I was eating. In his two-plus year old voice he said, “Oatmeal? Again?” I smiled to myself as I realized that, even in this, God reminds me that I will never get tired of eating at his table every day for the rest of my life when his recipes of mercy are actually new every morning.[2]

          From my heart,

          Monte
 

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)

[1] Matthew 5:3-6
[2]22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 24 ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’” (Lamentations 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment