Roman 8:37 is a wonderful summary statement of the book of Revelation:
The surrounding context of this passage, from verses 31-39, explains why God would say “No” to all the dangers that are sent against the church, and why he would declare his church to be “more than conquerors” against her innumerable enemies.
As our home church considered this passage as an expression of the “grace and peace” that are TO God’s people, and the “glory and dominion” that are TO Jesus, we considered what it might sound like for Jesus to say NO to the red dragon (Satan) using all the wonderful truths in this Scripture.
Here is what it could sound like when Jesus says “NO!” to the Red Dragon:
· NO, you will not long be against my people (vs 31) because your time is short.
· NO, you will not stop my children from receiving all the things I graciously give them because I did not spare my Son in order to bring these children to myself (vs 32), and so I will continue to graciously give them all the things my power and authority have ordained.
· NO, you shall not bring any charge against my elect because I have justified them and they cannot be condemned for anything I have already condemned in my Son (33).
· NO, you cannot condemn my children because Jesus already died their condemnation, and was victoriously raised up out of their condemnation, and is exalted to my right hand where his salvation constantly speaks to me that all my condemnation against the elect has been fully expended and finished on the cross of Calvary (vs 34).
· NO, you cannot separate my children from my love, for Jesus has already propitiated my wrath, the one thing that could separate my children from the experience of my love (vs 35). Nothing will ever separate them from my love!
· NO, your tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger, sword will not separate my children from my love (vs 35).
· NO, killing and slaughtering my children will not separate them from my love (vs 35-36).
· NO, you will not defeat me or my children since I have made them more than conquerors over you, red dragon, because my Son has cancelled the record of debt that stood against them, and my Son has disarmed all your rulers and authorities by putting you all to open shame, and I have triumphed over you in my Son!
· NO, red dragon, you will not conquer my children, because they are more than conquering you (vs 37).
· NO, you will not separate my children from my love with death or life, angels or rulers, things present or things to come, any powers, any height or depth, or anything else in creation, because my love is theirs in Jesus Christ their Lord (vss 38-39)
Conclusion: the grace and peace that are given to Jesus’ disciples from the Triune God, and the glory and dominion that are to Jesus because of who he is and what he has done, guarantee that we who are the servants of Jesus Christ are more than conquerors through every trouble described in the book of Revelation. We are to live in that victory by faith no matter what we see the red dragon and his minions appear to be doing here on earth. Jesus' brothers are the ones who are “more than conquerors”.