Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pastoral Ponderings ~ The Picture That Forms from the Puzzling Pieces

          If I did not believe so strongly in a personal, daily walk with God based on the living word of God, through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit, I would think that this morning’s consideration of God’s word turned into the most convoluted collection of thoughts I have ever seen. However, as puzzle pieces may look disconnected straight out of the box, a clear picture develops as each piece finds its place in connection with the others. Here is how it worked today.

The Damaging Effect of Deceptive Discernment

          One of my peeves of the present western church culture is the increase of ministry groups claiming the status of a “discernment” ministry (hereafter referred to as DM). They have become the untouchable Sanhedrin of the Church, deciding who is in and who is out based on their limited understanding of what ministry looks like when it “accords with sound doctrine”[1] in uncharted territory. They sit in judgment of the modus operandi of others, adding to their judgmental publications anyone who fails to meet their dogmatic requirements, while sitting in elite tribunals with none to do “discernment ministry” on them and their teachings.[2]
          The reason this was an issue for me this morning was the awareness of Jesus’ servants coming under attack from the DM snipers when venturing to address difficult life-experiences in a way that accords with sound doctrine. If the DM snipers do not recognize a target, they are quite prepared to blow it/them right out of the water, kind of like Saul putting Christians in prison to stop that terrible sect of people claiming Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah.[3]

The Sound Doctrine of the All-Things Ministry

          As I prayed my thoughts and feelings about deceptive discernment, I felt a growing determination to follow Paul’s example of becoming “all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.”[4]There is a way to relate to different kinds of people in different kinds of life-experience with different kind of ministry. Paul says so.
          Yes, I fully agree with the necessity of discernment. Yes, I fully affirm the constant diligence to live by sound doctrine. My contention is that some of these DM’s are hurting the church because they do not know how to follow Paul’s example in real life. They may be able to explain the doctrine in words, but they do not put their doctrine into works the way Paul did.[5]
          We must seek to live by Paul’s level of discernment, as revealed in the sound doctrine of God-breathed Scriptures,[6] while becoming “all things to all people”. We need to live by the plumb-line of God’s word even when that means living as a target of the DM snipers who have no idea how many ways sound doctrine can be fleshed-out into the real-life needs of God’s broken and wounded sheep.
          I know that the Bible does not mention drug addictions, childhood sexual abuse, mental illness labels, dissociative symptoms, and other similar contemporary problems. That does not mean that we are unable to help people who struggle with these things. There is a way to become all things to all people so that we can minister to one another in these areas, while doing so in accord with sound doctrine. Paul sets the example.

Sheepish Security in Our Shepherd’s Steps

          With my revulsion of deceptive discernment on one side, and Paul’s overwhelming example of living sound doctrine in an “all things to all people” kind of way, the next puzzle piece out of the box had to do with keeping in step with Jesus, my Shepherd.
          Part of our discernment of sound doctrine includes how to live that doctrine in personal relationship to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will never do anything that does not accord with sound doctrine, but he will often do things that do not accord with comfort zones, or DM snipers.
          The Holy Spirit is the personal presence of Jesus Christ. As Jesus is the perfect image of the invisible God,[7] the Holy Spirit is the perfect presence of Jesus, fulfilling Jesus’ promise to be with his Church always, to the end of the age.[8] While the Holy Spirit is the glorious expression of God’s light to his people, one color of the spectrum stood out to me this morning in terms of Jesus as our Shepherd. If Jesus is our Shepherd, as he clearly is, then the Spirit of Jesus is our Shepherd in every way Scripture means.
          What I realized is that I wanted a keep-in-step-with-my-Shepherd experience that looked like I was keeping up with Jesus more than it looked like Jesus graciously slowing down to match my childish pace. I love it that Jesus takes into consideration our maturity in life, obviously walking slow enough for his little ones to keep up. I have walked with children enough times to know what this feels like, both in the physical act of walking a lot slower than I would on my own, and the emotional experience of loving children and where they are at in their present stage of life.
          The thing I wanted to avoid all day long is the kind of keeping-in-step-with-Jesus that magnifies his grace towards dawdling sheep, and to experience the walk with the Spirit that magnifies his worthiness to be followed with an all-day-long devotion to being where he is, doing what he is doing. I am far too familiar with the first (for which I am very thankful), but I long to experience the second in a constantly maturing way.

The Freedom to Pray our Bleating Pain

          Acknowledging this desire to keep in step with the Spirit of Jesus in the genuine obedience of faith led me to realize I had some deep-seated heartaches that were my Shepherd’s next order of business. Yes, keeping in step with the Spirit includes following him into the work he is doing to heal our brokenheartedness and bind up our wounds. When we pray, “why are you so cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?”[9] we must expect the Holy Spirit to sometimes take us into the cast-down turmoil and show us how we can know the hope of Christ in ways we have not yet experienced it.
          One of the practical things I have learned in life is that God will sometimes use circumstances to show us ways in which we do not yet know him. I remember back to one situation early in our marriage where we did not have the money to pay our rent. At that point, I could not say that I knew God as Jehovah Jireh, my Provider, at least in dealing with material things. God’s prayer-answering provision in the midst of a gut-wrenching weekend led me to know him in a new way.
          Since that time I have discovered this nuance of God’s work many times myself, and now recognize when other people are in similar situations. While I once distressed over the impossible situations I faced, I have grown up into a faith that wonders what God is doing when there is no room for me on the stage, so to speak. As he draws all my attention to him, I find that I get to know him in new ways, gaining new understanding of how life works in accord with sound doctrine, and how he strengthens us with daily grace to face daily demands, and divine appointments.
          How do these puzzle pieces come together into a clear picture? First, in that way that says there is a lot more to the picture than one morning can reveal.
          Second, with the encouragement that I was given the Monte-sized part of the picture that is sufficient for today. If I live out my place in the script, the Director will make sure it fits in to whatever else he is doing.
          Third, I can face my day knowing that the Shepherd I am trying to keep up with sees the whole rest of the picture in every possible dimension including every person on this planet, and all that is taking place in every nuance of the spiritual realm. He is handling his part of the picture. All is well.
          Specifically, God did one more thing to clear up my long-standing fear of sniper rifles. He reminded me that Mr. Sound Doctrine, and Mr. All Things To All Men are very good friends. And, if I will let them both help me at the same time, I will not only experience the comforts of my Shepherd ministering to me in fellowship with my bleating prayers for help, but my keeping in step with him will help someone else to do the same. It will also help us all get to know God better than we have ever known him before.
          I think I will laminate those puzzle pieces together in prayer, and watch for those ways I will need to live as something to someone in an unexpected way that accords with sound doctrine, and blesses the heebie-jeebies out of us both in the process.[10] Wearing the bullet-proof vest of faith, of course, because those DM snipers have a habit of shooting at anything that moves before finding out whose side their target is on.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)



[1] Titus 2:1
[2] Often the DM’s way of judging other ministries is significantly lacking in sound doctrine!
[3] Acts 9:1ff
[4] I Corinthians 9:22
[5] I have yet to see a DM present how they do ministry the right way to people facing the things they accuse others of ministering to in the wrong way.
[6] II Timothy 3:16-17
[7] Colossians 1:15
[8] Matthew 28:20
[9] Psalm 42:11
[10] “heebie jeebies: A feeling of minor fright, anxiety, nervousness, apprehension, "the willies", phobic” (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=heebie+jeebies)

No comments:

Post a Comment