Pages

Friday, August 23, 2024

On This Day: To Entangle the ‘Word’ in His ‘words’


“Then the Pharisees went and plotted how to entangle him in his words” (Matthew 22:15)

 

   We’re in the last few days of Jesus’ ministry before his arrest and it looks like all his opponents are increasing their opposition because Jesus is right in Jerusalem, teaching and doing miracles right in the Temple, and it is shaking up the religious elite.

   Today it simply struck me that “the Pharisees went and plotted how to entangle him in his words.”

   The word for “his words” (sounds like “logo”) is the same root as Jesus being called “the Word” (logos). This has been on my mind a lot in Brad Jersak’s book because he twists “the Word” and “the word” to claim that us ignorant evangelicals put “the word” (Scripture) above “the Word” (Jesus). That’s bogus, just in case you weren’t sure!

   But the main thing today was simply marvelling at how hopeless I would be if people tried entangling me in my words, picking apart something I wrote, challenging inconsistencies, or all the annoying things people might pick on if they were against me. And then there is the religious elite who are going to try to entangle Jesus as “the Word” in his “words”.

   While I can’t keep up with debates on Scripture or doctrines, I am so thankful that God has been teaching me to “let the word of Christ dwell in you richly” (Colossians 3:16) because simply growing to know God through his “word” reveals a cohesion to the Scriptures that clearly reveal Jesus as “the Word”, God’s ultimate communication to us.

   So, in the Bible, we have “the word” that makes known to us “the Word” who reveals to us our Father in heaven and how we can know him in a real and personal way.

   And for that, I am very thankful today!

 

© 2024 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment