Pages

Friday, August 16, 2024

On This Day: The King Who Comes for Peace


 

This took place to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying,
 
“Say to the daughter of Zion,
‘Behold, your king is coming to you,
    humble, and mounted on a donkey,
    on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.’”                           (Matthew 21:4-5) 

 

   I love Matthew's emphasis on how Jesus fulfilled prophecy. It is so clear what the Savior was doing, and yet always with a surprise twist that people hadn't figured out. But this also shows me that both prophecy and its fulfillment come from the mind of God and could never have been coordinated (let alone imagined) by any grand conspiracy of people trying to make things happen.

   I began my morning with a good dose of sluggishness. God made it easy for me to come to him like a needy child instead of a self-confident Christian. My need for help in understanding and feeling the weight of this prophecy and fulfillment prepared my heart to experience afresh the wonder of how helpless I was as a sinner, and how settled it was that God had planned to rescue me from before time began.

   Today, the emphasis is on letting myself experience the thoughts of a meditating heart. Not worldly meditation where we empty our minds so Satan can fill them, but godly meditation where we attach our childlike thoughts to the Triune God by seeking to think their thoughts along with them. 

   I will never attain what they can think, but there is something peaceful about being the child who knows they are working things for good beyond anything I can ask or imagine. And just thinking about that is a blessing of its own.

 

© 2024 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment