Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

On This Day: God’s Reminders of God’s Reminders


"But the Lord GOD helps me;
    therefore I have not been disgraced;
therefore I have set my face like a flint,
    and I know that I shall not be put to shame." (Isaiah 50:7)

“But the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you, for they are not willing to listen to me: because all the house of Israel have a hard forehead and a stubborn heart. Behold, I have made your face as hard as their faces, and your forehead as hard as their foreheads. Like emery harder than flint have I made your forehead. Fear them not, nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house.” (Ezekiel 3:7-9)

 

   No, I did not get my title from the Department of Redundancy Department! It comes from needing to know how God feels about reminding me of things he already taught me.

   Every day there are lessons from God’s word that come from whatever Scripture passage I am reading. But other lessons come by being reminded of things I have already learned. So often these reminders weave together truths of Scripture in ways I had never noticed before.

   Today’s time with God in his word and prayer began like a narrow spotlight on the central figure of Christ fulfilling prophecy. It then panned to another prophecy God had already encouraged me with in times past that clearly applied to Jesus’ example. Then the spotlight expanded to show God’s history of reminding his people of things he had already done to encourage them to trust him with whatever they were facing.

   And all of a sudden the Holy Spirit was reminding me that all God’s reminders to his people were good. They were done in love. They were the grace and mercy of God. They were the patience of a holy and loving Father. Even when discipline was imminent because the children would not listen, God’s reminders of what he had done for them were aimed at saving them in a present conflict by retelling how a previous generation had already learned from such an experience. There was always time to repent and return to God!

   On the night before Jesus’ crucifixion, he told his disciples some things about the Holy Spirit because it would only be 50 days after his death that the Spirit would be poured out on the church. One of the things about the Spirit’s ministry was described like this, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (John 14:26). This was telling the apostles how the Holy Spirit would continue helping them as Jesus had already done, but it was also telling the church how the Spirit would help us all, by constantly teaching and reminding us however we need both.

   In God’s kingdom, being reminded of “truth in love” is a good thing. Always. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are always in full agreement when they teach us anything new from the Scriptures or remind us of things we were taught in the past that connect with what we are learning each day. We must let ourselves be like little children who delight to learn new things all the time, while constantly being reminded of how everything works together to make us more like our Savior.

   I am a bit curious about how the “face like flint” in Jesus and the “harder than flint” forehead of his servant will apply to anything that comes up this week. However, this lesson has already comforted me about things that have recently taken place.

   The bottom line is that we must constantly remind ourselves of how Jesus fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy. He went through Gethsemane in such sorrow at what he would soon feel of the wrath of God against our sin by praying, “Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done” (Luke 22:42). Then he set his “face like flint” to go to the cross, “despising its shame”, but knowing that this is how he would redeem people like us out of our sin so we could become the righteousness of God in him.

   Isaiah prophesied the Messiah would do this seven hundred years before Jesus’ birth. God’s word is telling us to live this way no matter what we face today. And I share this by way of reminder.

 

© 2024 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment