Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pastoral Ponderings ~ Absentee Father, Solid Foundation, Joyful Fellowship


          What could an absentee father provide to his children that would lay a foundation for a lifetime of joy? Often we think of absentee fathers in terms of their neglect of their children. There are untold stories of grief and emptiness when fathers do not fill their designed role. Even when a father is taken away by death, children feel a loss that can hurt them for a lifetime. Joy seems like the last thing an orphaned child could ever experience.
          This past few days God has been ministering to me about a particular group of absentee fathers who are a wonderful gift to the children of God. They even have something to offer those who have been brokenhearted over their other absentee fathers.
          The absentee fathers I speak of are those identified in God’s book as “apostles”. These are twelve men who were given distinctive leadership responsibilities in the formation of Jesus’ church. They had the top-tier of authority over the church, under the headship of Jesus Christ. They were the leaders of the leaders, so to speak.
          However, when we think of the leadership of these men, one of the distinctive characteristics that must be included is “fathers”. The apostle Paul wrote to one of the churches, “For you know how, like a father with his children, we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.”[1]The apostle John wrote to the church as, “My little children,”[2]and added, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”[3]
          What has ministered to me so much these last few days is Paul’s encouragement to the churches that their obedient working out of their salvation should be, “not only as in my presence but much more in my absence.”[4] At first I thought this sounded like a parent warning his children that they better behave just as well when he is not looking as when they are under his watchful eye.
          However, as I realized more of what Paul was expressing as his fatherly relationship to the church, I realized that he was writing them a letter that could help them just as much while he was absent as anything he could do when present. His letter could help them be all the more obedient to working out their salvation.
          When I understood this piece of the picture, I realized that, if Paul could help them be all the more devoted to working out their salvation in his absence, and this because of what he was sharing with them in his letter, it meant that every generation of the church can receive the same ministry from this letter, and the rest of the apostolic writings, as the first century church experienced. Paul’s letter is a father to his children, period. Those who are children of God are children of the apostles, so to speak, living out what they passed on to us.
          Another way we must look at the relationship of the apostles to the present generation of God’s people is that they are still the foundation upon which Jesus is building his church. When Jesus said, “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it,”[5]he was introducing a chief component of the church, that it would be, “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone.”[6]
          This means that, when the apostles write their letters to the churches, they are writing as the men who form the foundation of the church, working side-by-side with Jesus as the cornerstone who holds everything together. They are not just ahead of us, as one generation begetting another. They are solid foundation rock for every generation of the church.
          Both of these characteristics of “father” and “foundation” have the potential misconception of us thinking that they are talking about men who are far away. If Paul was a father-figure to the church, that was such a long time ago that it could barely have any impact on us now, right? And, if the apostles are the foundation of the church, haven’t we had so many generations of the church built on that foundation that those of us who are being added in this day would surely be far removed from any personal relationship with these men?
          However, a third characteristic of the apostles that has meant a lot to me lately is the quality they add to the fellowship of the church. The apostle John wrote, “that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.”[7]
          John spoke of a kind of fellowship that included the apostles, the church, and the Triune God. This fellowship, lived out the way the apostles wrote in their letters, was designed to make our joy complete.
          We see this same three-dimensional fellowship in Paul’s letters when he describes the church built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets. With the imagery of Jesus as the cornerstone making true the work of the apostles, Scripture says that, “in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord.”[8] Now we have a clear relationship between Jesus as the cornerstone, the apostles as the foundation, and the church that is built upon that foundation, just as Jesus had earlier told the apostles.
          The apostle Peter described it like this, “As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”[9]
          Peter saw Jesus as “a living stone,” the “cornerstone” of the church’s foundation, and he saw believers as “living stones” who are being “built up” on that foundation. There is an undeniable relationship between Jesus, the apostles, and the church.
          However, when Paul continues describing this he adds, “In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.”[10] We are the “living stones” that are being “built together” to become “a dwelling place.” Now notice who this is for. It is a dwelling place “for God,” and God will dwell in us “by the Spirit.”
          So, now we have this wonderful picture of fellowship. Jesus is the cornerstone, the apostles are the foundation, believers are the living stones that make up the building, and God the Father dwells with his in the person of his Holy Spirit. All that to say that we have this three-dimensional fellowship between the apostles, the church, and the Triune God.
          What this has done for me this week is settle a very important issue. No matter what I am going through, I am not alone. I have the ministry of my fathers, the apostles, ministering to me through their letters just as much today as to the churches that first received them. I have the ministry of the Triune God always working in me, and around me, and for me, so that I can always know how to work out my salvation with fear and trembling. And I have the church as a brotherhood of living stones, all being built together in the same way, the same building, on the same foundation, by the same God, by the same Holy Spirit, so that I can always find some group of people who are seeking to live in Jesus’ name who will fellowship with me in that way that helps all of us grow up in Christ, and complete our mutual joy.
          The most personal application of this is that something has clicked inside me that feels connected to Paul, and John, and Peter, as fathers. If they knew me, they would want me as one of their dear children. If they saw me, they would greet me as one of their “beloved.”[11] If they had to rebuke me, or reprove me, or correct me, it would not be, “to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children.”[12]
          And, because these apostles are the foundation rock of the church Jesus is building, coming together in fellowship with God and his people, the ministry of these fathers contributes something very distinct and special and necessary to the completion of our joy.
          Jesus once said, “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”[13] Later he sent out the apostles to minister to the church, and then write us these amazing letters that would show us how to have such fellowship with them, and God, and the church, that it would make our joy complete. Now, who wouldn’t want a letter from fathers like that!

© 2015 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)




[1] I Thessalonians 2:11-12
[2] I John 2:1
[3] 3 John 1:4
[4] Philippians 2:12
[5] Matthew 16:18
[6] Ephesians 2:20
[7] I John 1:3-4
[8] Ephesians 2:20-21
[9] I Peter 2:4-5
[10] Ephesians 2:22
[11] Romans 12:19; James 1:16; I Peter 2:11; I John 2:7; Jude 1:17, 20
[12] I Corinthians 4:14
[13] John 15:11

No comments:

Post a Comment