Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pastoral Pings (Plus) ~ One Man’s Blessing in a World of Sickness

          Once again, while looking up another passage of Scripture, something stood out in a profound way that ministered to my heart as much as I needed. I was looking up the passage where Jesus told his opponents that the reason he healed people on the Sabbath (something the religious elite believed to be a kind of “work” that was forbidden by God), was because his Father was working.[1]
          I have long been affected by Jesus’ expression of doing only what the Father was doing, and doing whatever the Father was doing. He stated it like this, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise.”[2] As often as I fail to follow this example, it is still something that profoundly shapes my daily walk with God.
          What stood out as a much-needed interruption (“interruption” is from my perspective, not God’s), was the contrast between “a multitude of invalids,”[3] and “one man was there.”[4]
          Jesus had entered a building that had “five roofed colonnades,”[5] all converging at a pool the people believed could heal them. This is why there was “a multitude of invalids” gathered in one place. There was no hope that they all would be healed, but only that someone would be healed each time “the water is stirred up.”[6]That faint hope made these people desperate to be the next one the water-stirring lottery chose.
          Jesus entered this place of sickness with one thing in mind, looking for whatever the Father was doing. There is no explanation for how Jesus recognized his Father’s work in one particular invalid, but he did. And, when he did, he had to join his Father in this work because his life was about doing “only” what the Father was doing, and doing “whatever” the Father was doing.
          Here is the way this encouraged me. First, that Jesus sees me, and my sickness, in the midst of a world that is just as sick as I am. Jesus’ work in my life has been one more way that he did only what he saw his Father doing, and he did whatever he saw his Father doing. I matter to the Father, so I matter to Jesus. [7]
          Second, that my quest to walk in the things God is doing will sometimes, perhaps often, look like finding one person God is saving in the midst of a multitude of people who are looking after themselves. For a long time, I have expressed my life in Christ with the faith that, if I have been led by the Spirit to testify in a particular way, that there will always be one person out there who needs this ministry of my part of the body of Christ.
          Third, if Jesus could be so satisfied in the experience of fully joining his Father in his work, even while leaving a “multitude of invalids” that did not recognize the time of his coming to them,[8] I must learn this satisfaction in my Father’s work as well.
          Fourth, I do not want to miss out on something God is doing around me because I am so intent on continuing to live the way I was already doing. While I struggle with the thought of God working in a group of people so that only one person received his gift, I also marvel that such a work of God could take place in the midst of such a multitude and not one other person asked if they could have it as well!
          When I know God is working around me, I want to be in the midst of it, getting the maximum benefit of whatever he is doing. If I hear that he is blessing someone in a certain way that I need for myself, I want to use that testimony of his work to stir up my hunger and thirst to experience the work of God for myself.
          I am sure there are many more lessons from this chapter of Scripture. I have certainly turned to this Scripture many times to remind myself of how Jesus related to his Father so that I can follow his example. However, there is a sense in which God is working through this passage today in a particular and deliberate way, and I have received the benefit of this word of God as if it had just been written for me this morning.
          I share this wondering how my experience in the body of Christ would find that one other person God is working in, and bring us to share in the life of Jesus Christ together, even if I never hear their story. The fact that God did this particular work in me, means that there is a blessing for someone else out there, even as Jesus’ ministry to that one invalid was also a ministry to me, once again.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)




[1] John 5:17 (read chapter for context)
[2] John 5:19
[3] John 5:3
[4] John 5:5
[5] John 5:2
[6] John 5:7
[7] Because God is the Triune, it can only be this way. However, meditating on the fact that this is so is still good for the soul.
[8] Luke 18:41-44

No comments:

Post a Comment