Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Pastoral Pings ~ God’s Thoughts Make His Actions Obvious

          Because God is God, if he gives us an indication of something he is thinking, we can be confident in our expectation of what he is doing. Since every attribute of God combines to make his deeds completely consistent with his thoughts, I will leave it to the reader to meditate on that particular wonder.

          However, this morning I was blessed with this tiny segment of a beautiful phrase that goes like this: “So God created man…”[1]

          As a living man wondering where I came from, and who I am in this world of conflicting opinions, these words declare something that answers everything. I am man because God is God. If I want to know who I am, and why I am here, I go back to the first chapter of the Bible. It tells me that, “In the beginning God…”[2] If I let myself go back to the God-beginning, where the God without beginning caused time to tick its first second, I will find the one who explains it all. When this same word tells me, “So God created man…” I get where I came from, and I understand that there is someone who answers all my questions of who I am and why I am here.

          What really stood out to me in these four words is the conjunction “so”. I double-checked a Hebrew-interlinear Bible to make sure this word was in the original language, and it certainly was. This little word tells us that the description that comes after is a development of what comes before.

          The thing that stands out in this case is that what comes after is an action, and what comes before is a thought. God had a thought about something he would do, “so” he did the thing he thought. The triune God thought together that they would make man in their own image and likeness,[3] and “so” they made man in their own image and likeness.

          From there on in, God’s children are given a very clear picture of God putting into actions the things he thinks. If he had a thought to do something, that something got done. If he put his thoughts into promises, those promises were fulfilled so that what is matches what was thought.          The way God wants us to understand him is that as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”[4]Both God’s thoughts, and his ways, are higher than our thoughts and our ways, but his thoughts and his ways are always in complete conformity with one another.

          The lesson is simple: since God has always acted in full conformity to his thoughts, and this has been verified from the very beginning of time, all the thoughts he has told us about the future, about Jesus’ coming, about the home Jesus is preparing for us, about the new heavens and the new earth, will be put into action exactly as God thought they should be.

          In those wonderful cases where God has described future events in such wondrous symbolism that we are left marveling at how much higher his thoughts and ways are above our thoughts and ways, when he fulfills what he thought, we will marvel at the way he put into action the minutest detail of his divine thoughts so that what he planned and what he did will appear to be one and the same.

          As our brother Paul once said for our edification, “For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.”[5]From the very beginning, God has done what he thought. This will be the same for every thought of God still waiting its moment on the divine stage.

          From my heart,

          Monte

 

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)

 



[1] Genesis 1:27
[2] Genesis 1:1
[3] Genesis 1:26
[4] Isaiah 55:9
[5] II Corinthians 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment