Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ Handling Fear With Faith

          I have often heard that fear and faith are mutually exclusive. However, many people who have genuine faith in Jesus Christ also have struggles with fear. The question is, which of the two decides what we do in our relationship with God.

          This morning God’s word reminded me of the way that fear and faith relate to one another in the life of the child of God. David wrote, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”[1]

          What this tells me is that there is a way that faith handles whatever fears we experience. In other words, instead of telling ourselves that we should have such faith that we do not feel fear, we should tell ourselves that faith is the way that we handle whatever fears arise.

          David’s expression of, “when I am afraid,” gives God’s children the invitation to admit that we also face such times. There are things we go through that bring fear to the surface as the chief characteristic of the moment. It is okay to admit that we have times “when I am afraid.”

          On the other hand, David sets the example of what to do during those times: “I put my trust in you.” I am very thankful that David did not say, “instead of being afraid, I put my trust in you.” He shows us that, even while there is something going on that causes us to react with fear, we can, at the very same time, put our trust in God about the things that are scaring or concerning us.

          When I consider why so many Christians respond to their fears with greater fear, with self-dependent coping strategies, and various expressions of shutting down to God and people, I believe the need is for help in knowing how faith can bring our fears to God. There may be times when such abundance of fear simply exposes our “little faith”, as Jesus affectionately revealed to his disciples.[2] Other times this may express the wrong belief that someone of faith will not have any fears. Whatever the case, we need David’s encouragement that faith brings our fears to God.

          I see this in the way that a child has implicit faith in his dad, that dad will handle all the things he is afraid of, and so he goes to dad every time he is afraid. Having faith in Dad’s ability to handle his fears does not mean the child never feels fears. It just means that he always runs to his dad with the things that scare him.

          In the same way, our faith in Jesus Christ does not remove scary things from our lives. Rather, it gives us all the reason we need to believe that we can run to God with every kind of fear, worry, concern, or apprehension we feel. We can come with confidence to the throne of grace knowing we will receive grace and mercy for our time of need,[3] even when the need is a comfort to our fears. We can cast all our anxieties on him, because he cares for us.[4]

          Instead of thinking that God’s children should have a faith that leaves no room for fear, let’s consider that we really need to have a faith that our Father in heaven can handle every fear that rises within our hearts. The more we grow in such a faith, the more quickly we will run to God with our fears, and find his help leading us to know him in a constantly growing faith.

          After David tells us that when he was afraid he would trust in God, he adds this: “In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?”[5] It seems like a very gracious and hopeful progression. When David was afraid, he would trust in God. When David would trust in God, he would no longer be afraid. That’s the way it works. When a child feels afraid, he runs to his Father in faith. As he experiences his Father’s handling of his fears, he finds that he is no longer afraid.

          The application for me is simple: whenever, and for however long I am afraid, I will keep trusting my heavenly Father with all my fears, knowing that he will still the fear-storms within my soul and bring me to his place of Peace! Be still!” As I do this, I fully expect the same result as the disciples witnessed in their stormy crossing of the lake: “And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.”[6]

          From my heart,

          Monte
 

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)



[1] Psalm 56:3
[2] Matthew 6:30; 8:26; 14:31; 16:8;  17:20
[3] Hebrews 4:16
[4] I Peter 5:7
[5] Psalm 56:4
[6] Mark 4:39

No comments:

Post a Comment