Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Pastoral Pings ~ The Growing Light of Dawn


          One of the benefits of meeting with God in the morning is that there is a visible parallel to the invisible work of God in our souls. Getting up while the night hangs on to its shadows gives an easy simile to the feelings of my inner man. Even on my best mornings, things just ain’t so bright in there, if you know what I mean!
          My morning time with God often begins by me telling God how sluggish I feel. I don’t tell him this for his benefit, but for mine. I know he wants to hear what is on our hearts just as we like to hear the little children telling us their stories even though we already have a pretty good sense of where they are at.
          I also find that many mornings are a carry-over from troubling thoughts that follow me from the previous day. While Jesus told us not to worry about tomorrow because each day has enough trouble of its own,[1] we are often just as tempted to carry yesterday’s troubles into a new day as we are to live tomorrow’s troubles before we get to them!
          One of the things that helps most with both of these temptations is to begin the day presenting our shadowy thoughts to God so that his presence can lead us into the full light of day. I regularly finish my time in the word and prayer looking out at the beautiful sunny morning (as was the case today) and realizing that God was shining in my heart with a gracious gift of encouragement I wouldn’t be feeling if I hadn’t met with him in the lurking shadows.
          I have learned over the years not to be legalistic about when people meet with God, as long as it is their daily habit.[2] However, I have also derived much encouragement from examples of God’s word that invite me to these early morning times with him. Here’s a sampling.
          “But I, O Lord, cry to you; in the morning my prayer comes before you.[3] This is often the case. Morning begins with the hearts of God’s children crying out to know him. Our prayers come before him because we know that we have no one else to turn to. If we are going to make it through the day, we know the one to whom we need to pray!
          “Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.[4] Not only do we ask God to satisfy our broken hearts with his steadfast love morning after morning, but we know this is the reason we will rejoice through any given day, and through all our days! And, if such rejoicing can be had on a daily basis, why miss the opportunity?!
          “Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.[5] Yes, we often go to bed with heartaches, disappointments, broken relationships, communication disasters and other such expressions of living in a fallen world. However, the first person I want to hear from the next day is the one who will tell me of his steadfast love. Whether I need to repent of something I did wrong the day before, or reconcile with someone I hurt, or rest in God’s love when people have wronged me and there is no repentance or reconciliation in sight, I need to hear of God’s steadfast love as a daily, morning reminder.
          And so, the morning gives the opportunity to lift up our souls to our heavenly Father so we can see how he is showing us the way we should go, not only in any major decisions, but in the daily grind of responsibilities and demands that are always more than we can bear.
          Again, there is no legalistic demand that we meet with God at a certain time of the day, or stay a predetermined length of time in prayer and meditation. Our lives are now led by the Spirit, not by the law.[6]
          My aim in sharing this is simply to encourage you to meet with God, in his word, through faith in Jesus Christ, depending on the daily guidance of the Holy Spirit, and to watch what happens to your soul as you pour out your heart to the Triune, and receive their ministry to your inner being.[7]
          For me, I like the simile of what happens inside me being like what happens in the morning around me. I begin in the shadows, and end up in the full light of day. After all, “God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”[8]Why not meet with such a One as this, and watch what happens to your soul?

© 2015 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)




[1] Matthew 6:34
[2] I consider a daily time with God in his word and prayer to be like kindergarten-level Christianity. Eternal life is about knowing God (John 17:3), so God’s children want to meet with our Father every day, even from our youngest years of immaturity. Spending time with God is not a maturity issue, as though it is not something we do until we are mature, but we do mature as we spend daily time with God!
[3] Psalm 88:13
[4] Psalm 90:14
[5] Psalm 143:8
[6] Romans 7:6; Galatians 5:18
[7] Paul’s prayer in Ephesians 3:14-21 shows the presence of the Spirit, the Son, and the Father, all filling us up with in. That should be our experience when we seek the Triune in their word and prayer, no matter when or for how long.
[8] I John 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment