Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Testimony: When Appreciation Surprises Appreciation

          Recently I have been learning some good lessons on appreciation. Not only is it beneficial to show appreciation, both to God and people, but there are ways to show appreciation that unite our heart, soul, and mind, and express ourselves through both sides of our brain at the same time!
          This morning’s experience of appreciation came as a pleasant surprise. I was expressing my thankfulness to God for the ways we can approach him as little children, coming to a Father who does not expect us to think through our whole lives ahead of time. As soon as the first thought popped into my head, I could almost feel a fresh connection between the left and right sides of my brain.
          The left-side thought was the fact of the matter, that God does not place on his children the demand to think everything through in advance in order to keep him from being angry. The right-side thought, perhaps like a slight echo of emotion responding to the left-side information, was that something inside me suddenly felt different.
          At first I was going to thank God for letting such things settle into my heart (in that soul, mind, all-inclusive kind of way). However, no sooner had that thought walked onto center stage, when I realized that God had been working on this for quite a while. It was as though I discovered the lesson at the same time I realized I have already been learning the lesson.
          From the viewpoint of caring for children, I think of my perspective of teaching the same lesson repeatedly before a child ever clues-in that we have been teaching the lesson at all. I can see how it now feels from the child’s view, where suddenly a corner is rounded and we arrive somewhere distinctive, realizing that we have been traveling there the whole time.
          At this point, the initial experience of surprise appreciation began growing. I felt appreciation for the fact that God had been surrounding me with a kind of love and care that surpasses anything I have ever received anywhere else. At the same time, he was leading me to know that he was doing this work, and that he was distinctly different from anyone else.
          The reason God does not expect me to think through everything that might happen to me, all the scenarios I could face in a day, and strategize plans to handle anything that could happen, is that it is a distinctly “parent” responsibility. Not that a human parent can possible think through everything, and have plans for everything. Rather, it is more like a parent’s responsibilities to have to think of the things that could happen, and what we might do about them. It is up to the parents to think about fire-safety plans, paying bills, caring for cars and houses, budgeting for food, clothing, and shelter needed for their children.
          In the same way, there are things about life that are God’s responsibility, not mine. And, while I might wonder why he does not work things out to greater advantage from my viewpoint, the reality is that he is the one who has already planned a perfect plan, and he is the one carrying out the one supreme plan that overrides all the other plans and purposes of man.
          God has put his glory and honor on display, showing us his eternal power and divine nature in the things he has made.[1] Our studies of the universe and all the things we see around us affirm that whoever made these things is a complete genius. And, when we add to what we see around us, the heavens that declare the glory of God,[2] this wonderful fact that he is also taking care of this whole universe, coordinating its times and seasons to bring about his plans and purposes, he is glorified beyond our thoughts and words for his supreme knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, and his care for us within all the other things he does.
          And then he calls us his treasured possession,[3] the sheep of his pasture,[4] his sons,[5] his beloved children,[6] to assure our total being, inside and out, that we do not need to worry about the things that are his responsibility. Not only is this the right answer, it is also the right experience. When we “know” in the way the Bible talks about knowing, we come to experience what it is like to be God’s beloved children living under the watch-care of a Father who is looking after everything.
          Not only do I not need to worry about tomorrow’s troubles,[7] but I do not need to worry about how my Father feels about me as I grow up to be like Jesus. It is not my job to figure out the next degree of glory he has in mind for my transformation.[8] I just have to be his kid, and rest in him being my Father. He’s got my back, as the say.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)




[1] Romans 1:19-20
[2] Psalm 19:1
[3] Deuteronomy 7:6; Malachi 3:17
[4] Psalm 95:7; 100:3
[5] Romans 8:15; Galatians 4:5; Ephesians 1:5
[6] Ephesians 5:1-2
[7] Matthew 6:25-34
[8] II Corinthians 3:18

No comments:

Post a Comment