Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Men Whose Hearts Can Sing; Women Whose Hearts Need to Hear the Song

          One of the most life-affecting characteristics of my fifty-plus years has been the impact of childhood sexual abuse on women. It has affected me more than I would ever have asked. It has broken my heart. It has crushed my soul. It has shocked me, angered me, and made me feel pain in a way I could not remember feeling it before.
          And now, the religious sexual abusers (the worst kind it seems) who capture women and force them into sexual slavery, bring to mind, and soul, the thoughts and feelings of a man’s heart on the edge of a woman’s world.
          I began as a true Ignorant. I was ignorant of the reality of such abuse, the extent of such abuse, the effect of the trauma of such abuse, and the application of God’s love, hope, and healing to such abuse. I discovered that my understanding of how the good news of Jesus Christ could apply to such things was like a preschool coloring paper. I could make a pretty decent picture, for my age, but it was just that, a picture; colored wax on flattened wood fibers. I was young.
          And then I met someone who began to mentor me into a man’s heart. He became to me one of the most manly men I have ever met. I weep as I think of him. And now I cannot write because my thoughts of him has returned me to the sorrow and grief we have shared together on many occasions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

          At day’s end, I see if I can pick up where I left off. More stories of the religious sexual abusers move me to plumb the depths of my own soul to know what men can do when the grief, and pain, and trauma of women threatens to get the best of us.
          I turn back to my mentor, and recall the thing he said that settled for me that I had no right to hide from what women around me are going through. Even though the suffering may be half a world away, it is far closer, and more painful, than anyone wants to think. And yet the women are thinking it, and feeling it, and killing themselves to get away from it.
          My mentor is a man named Jeremiah. He went through a season of history during which time he witnessed his countrymen being slaughtered, women raped and brutalized, children left to die, much like is happening in our world today. He was powerless to stop it, and yet lived through it in a way that continues to help people find God in the midst of any such circumstances of life.
          There is a book that Jeremiah has written called, “Lamentations”. It is in the Bible. It is a song of lament, of sorrow, of grief. It is a man’s song. It is a man’s sorrows, and a man’s grief. And yet, much of his sorrows and grief were because of the children and the women who were suffering at the hand of their wicked enemy.
          I recall how Jeremiah taught me to see abused women as women and children at the same time. Their stories take us back to childhoods where things should not have happened. Their best efforts to put the trauma behind them have failed, and it leaks out of their souls as if no time has passed. They are little girls again. The bad things are happening again. And this time someone must help them.
          So I heard my mentor call loudly into my soul with this appeal to men of every age: 
“Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches!
Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord!
Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children,
who faint for hunger at the head of every street.”[1]
          I had never heard a man appeal so emotionally, and earnestly, as though his eyes could see through every year of passing time, and find me where I was hiding, where I was wishing that women didn’t hurt as terribly as I was finding out. And his words shook me to the core.
          At night, when it is most difficult to silence the cries, and the screams, and the recurring horrors, men are to get up, and present their hearts to the Lord. Men are to willingly let their hearts become like water before the Lord, pouring out with no foolish limitations of pride and culture. Whatever pain their hearts receive from the women-children who cry in the night, they are to allow nothing to harden their hearts, or slow the flow of grief that pleads for God to hear these little ones who have never yet felt him touch them in their trauma.
          While I was learning to pray for the little girls who bore the abuse of wicked-hearted men, Jeremiah told me his own story of standing before God on behalf of the traumatized women of his world. His heart-piercing testimony was this:
“My eyes will flow without ceasing, without respite,
until the Lord from heaven looks down and sees;
my eyes cause me grief at the fate of all the daughters of my city.[2]
          Yes, Jeremiah prayed for the children around him as they suffered the fallout of their city’s destruction. And yes, Jeremiah taught me to pray for children in the same way, and to pray for the abused little girls who lived inside women’s bodies. And he set the example by telling me what he was doing.
          Jeremiah would let his eyes flow with tears, without ceasing, without taking a break, until he could see that God himself was looking down from heaven, seeing the plight of these women, and hearing and answering his prayer. He saw the fate of the daughters of his city, the effect of the life-destroying experience of his people. And what he saw in the women, what his eyes forced him to see, caused him inner grief that would not be quieted by turning away, or distracting himself, or putting himself first, or denying what was taking place. He would only find quiet when his prayers for the traumatized women were answered, and God came to their rescue.
          Jeremiah’s example helped me through seasons of unimaginable sorrow. Never did I doubt how good God was, for the evil was not his. Never did I doubt that he could heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds, just as he said.[3] But there was some sense in which I had to become the brokenhearted. I had to feel the brokenness so that I would care about it, and find God caring about it.
          I had to open my heart to the timeless pain of childhood trauma. I had to find a strength in God that would enable me to cry without restriction. And so I wrote songs, and I sang songs, and I cried, and I prayed. I turned to my mentor’s songs to help me grieve, and to give me comfort in my grief. And, like him, I wrote down words that would help me pour out my heart like water before the Lord, and to help my tears of prayer flow unceasingly into God’s presence until the broken hearts of these women were healed.
          While looking back on those early lessons of relating to the childhood sexual abuse of women, I once again find myself overwhelmed with the wide scale, religion-sanctioned, traumatization of countries, communities, families, parents, children, and the women sold for pennies to gratify the evil demands of their sexual abusers. Once again, Jeremiah mentors me in the realities of a man’s heart.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, Canada, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)

The Women of Our City

O Lord, we come to pray to you
For the women of our city
We come to lift their needs to you in earnest prayer
We open up our hearts, O Lord
Humbly waiting for your mercy
We pray for women everywhere

We pray for women lost in sin
Broken by the pain they’re in
Hopeless in the things they’re going through
We pray that you will touch them, Lord
Save them from this evil world
May their searching hearts
come back to you

We see the tears the women cry
and we fear our hearts’ responses
We want to know the love
that fills your Father’s heart
We want to love as godly men
Walking in your righteous purpose
O may their day of healing start

We pray the thoughts we can’t conceal
Unashamed of what we feel
For the women we now intercede
Bring comfort to each wounded soul
Heal their minds and make them whole
For the broken women we now plead

We come to you with softened hearts
For the pain our wives have suffered
We ask you now to come and heal their brokenness
We pray this for our daughters, Lord
For our sisters and our mothers
O come and give our women rest

O Lord, they’ve suffered far too long
In their weakness, make them strong
May they know the comfort of your love
You see the tears the women cry
Pain so bad they want to die
Help them lift their eyes to look above

(tempo and tune change)
Our tears will flow like a river
For wounds as deep as the sea
We will not rest ‘til we see you
Setting our women free
Let them know your love in the morning
May compassion rise like the dawn
Make your faithfulness shine like the noonday sun
‘Til the pain of the night is gone

Lord, renew the hope of our women
May they quietly wait for you
May they call upon you as their Father
From the anguish they’re going through
May the night of distress turn to morning
Shine the light of your loving grace
From the heavens look down on our women, Lord
Give them sight of your loving face

© 2003 Monte Vigh




[1] Lamentations 2:19
[2] Lamentations 3:49-51
[3] Psalm 147:3

No comments:

Post a Comment