Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Considerations ~ Detecting the Warnings that Lead us to Joy

Early this morning I had to pull the battery out of our smoke detector in order to stop it from “chirping”. The chirping was to warn me that something was wrong. All it took was popping out the battery to silence the warning, and quiet was restored.

After the deed was done, I realized that this is the way some people handle the things they do not like to hear. If they can remove a person from a position of influence or authority over their lives, they can silence the warnings and admonitions so that a sense of quiet is restored.

This is, in fact, what happened to the forerunner of the Christ, John the Baptist. A woman did not like the way John relentlessly addressed the sinful relationship between her and her husband, and so she strategically orchestrated his execution.

This is also what happened to the Christ. The religious leaders were incensed that Jesus would confront them with their sin, while welcoming forgiven prostitutes, tax collectors, and drunks, into the kingdom of heaven. Their solution? Execute him so that he would be quiet; and use crucifixion as the means of execution so that the publicity and shame of his death would silence his disciples.

There was another woman whom Jesus personally confronted with her five failed marriages, and her current sin of adultery. Her response was to humbly welcome him as a prophet, and then to open her heart to him as the Messiah she was waiting for. Instead of conspiring to get rid of him to silence his conviction of her sin, she went to her village and invited everyone to come and meet Jesus. After a couple of days of listening to his teachings, they thanked God for what this woman had shared with them.

And then there were those disciples who saw Jesus die the shameful suffering of crucifixion. They witnessed Jesus’ resurrection from the dead. They witnessed Jesus ascending back into heaven where he is now seated at the right hand of his Father. And they became the powerful witnesses of the life, death, burial, resurrection, ascension, and glorious salvation of Jesus the Christ.

Now, to clarify, I am putting a fresh battery in my smoke detector because, while I have silenced the warning that the battery was running low, leaving it without a battery would mean I have also silenced its ability to warn me of fire and smoke danger. I want the warning of fire and smoke danger because I would like to continue enjoying my home, and all the people who share it with us.

At the same time, I am filling my heart with time spent with my heavenly Father in his word and prayer so that, while I must welcome his warnings as a child respecting his Father’s loving discipline, I get to hear the words of God calling me into the fullness of joy that the necessary warnings are faithfully guarding.


I encourage us all to be sure we are up-to-date in receiving whatever ministry God is sending into our lives to warn us of danger, and invite us into his joy. Let us also make sure we are not shutting out his servants who remind us of these things our heavenly Father is doing.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment