Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Pastoral Pings ~ A Child in Reference to God

          After a decade of helping in a daycare, one of the most notable things I have learned about children is the way they reference themselves to the adults in their lives. Sometime during the infant’s first year, we begin to see them glance over at us to see if we are looking at them. By the time the child is entering toddlerhood, there is a clear pattern of them looking at us as a reference to how things are going in their world.

          What I now realize is that children are referencing to the look on our faces. They are looking to see if we are smiling at them. They want to know if we think all is well with their world so they can carry on with their fun and games, which is actually very serious business to their little hearts and minds. If we show that all is well with us, they can feel that all is well with them.

          This morning, as I considered God’s work of making me some little bit more like Jesus, and the fact that I am far more different from him than I wish, I realized that there is an aspect of this that is much like a child referencing to an adult, and the caregiver responding with a smile that says everything is okay.

          What settled into my heart was the awareness that my time with God in his word each morning, my prayers throughout the day, my reminding myself of things God has told me, is all like a child referencing himself to his caregiver. Or, in a more familiar biblical picture, it is like a little lamb referencing himself to his Shepherd. He wants to feel assured that all is well with the flock because the Shepherd is watching over him, and he is smiling.

          The thing that comforted me was the realization that, because I am the child in the picture, the little lamb who needs the care of his Shepherd, my need is not to be in charge to make sure that everything is looked after. It is not my role to manage my life so that I get some kind of pseudo-security from determining that I have all my bases covered and nothing is going to get by me.

          Rather, it is my role to be the child, the lamb, the beloved one of God. I am the one who finds security in the watchful love of the Shepherd, the all-seeing love of the Father who rejoices over me with singing. I reference myself to how Jesus is doing, how he is feeling, how he perceives the things going on around me.

          Jesus’ place in the picture is to carry on his shoulders the cares of the whole world. It is Jesus who has to think about what is happening to the flock of God, and how each one of his lambs fit into the picture. Jesus is the head of the body of Christ, the one who thinks about, and communicates with, every part of his body, organizing and orchestrating what we are doing in relation to him, all so that his joy can flow into us, and our joy can reach its fullest measure.[1]

          The conclusion of the matter is that I grow up, not by trying to be as good as Jesus at the things Jesus is doing, but by being myself and letting him take care of me. As I continually reference myself to him by spending time in his word and prayer, by fellowshipping with his people in the body of Christ, by listening to other believers share what God is doing with them, and considering how that relates to what God is doing with me, I will know what he is doing in his church, and, therefore, what he is doing in me.

          It is interesting to look at the book of Revelation as God’s gift to his referencing children. As we face the scenarios described in the book, we can look into the revelation and see that God is actually okay with everything that is going on. No matter what bad thing is described, it doesn’t interfere with God fulfilling all his good plans and purposes for his children.

          Another way of saying this is a very comforting word from God, quoted by the prophet Isaiah, fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”[2] Such Scriptures are like God’s smile in response to our referencing. No matter what we are going through, when we look into his face, we see no sign of worry or fear, but only that smile of love that tells his children that all is well.

          From my heart,

          Monte

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)


[1] John 15:11
[2] Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment