Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Praying Scripture: I John (1:1-4)

          Today I decided that I would try turning I John into a prayer I could pray for others. I have prayed through Scripture as a way of seeking to understand what the Spirit is saying to the churches, and I have used a few Scriptures as prayers for people. The Psalms, along with a couple of Paul’s prayers, are fairly easy to use as our sincere worship expressions to God.

          In the next while, I am going to see what comes to mind when I try to pray each paragraph of this book as a specific intercession for others. Your thoughts and comments about this will be helpful. The aim is not to put any trust in a specific wording for prayer, but to encourage us to take the Scriptures and make them our prayer list for people in our lives. Each day, our time in God’s word will yield something for us to pray about for ourselves and others. I hope that this journey through I John will give each of us ideas of how to use God’s word as our prayer list for intercession.

I John 1:1-4 

1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— 2 the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us— 3 that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete. (I John 1)

 
Our Father in heaven, 

          I pray that ________ would trust and believe in that which was from the beginning, in that which your disciples heard, that they saw with their own eyes, that they looked upon, and that they touched with their own hands, concerning the word of life.  

          I pray that ________ would have the gift of faith to believe that the life was made manifest, and that your disciples saw it, and testified to it and proclaimed to us through their writing the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to them.

          I pray that ________ would have such faith in that which your apostles had seen and heard, that which they proclaim even now to us through their letters, so that he/she may have fellowship with us; and would fully share with us that fellowship we have with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.

          And, I pray that ________ would receive the gift of these writings, the words that Jesus has spoken to us, so that his/her joy may be complete.

 

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment