Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ When Not to Swallow the Fudge

          One of the reasons I hold to my belief in Jesus Christ as revealed in the Christian Bible is because of how it measures up to every other belief about life. One of the tests of all the different beliefs in the world is to analyze which conflicting viewpoint has to “fudge” information to continue holding to their conclusions.

          I hold to biblical Christianity rather than one of the cults because the cults have to fudge the translation and interpretation of the Bible to hold to their set of beliefs. I hold to biblical Creationism rather than evolution (theistic or otherwise), because proponents of evolution have to fudge-it on so many pieces of evidence that I could never believe such a speculation with any degree of confidence at all. I hold to biblical Christianity over other religions because only faith in the Bible enables me to live a fudge-free life.

          Over the decades of considering conflicting viewpoints about everything under the sun, the Christian Bible has stood out as the most complex, consistent, message about life that has not required me to fudge anything to hold to all that it reveals.

          I suspect that this would sound quite surprising to some. Over the years, I have had many people tell me that they cannot believe the Bible because it is so full of contradictions. However, in checking out the supposed problem passages, I have found quite the opposite to be true.

          Perhaps I could make sense of this by explaining that my exploration of these things has led me to look at contradictions as one would look at light through a prism. On one side of the prism, we see the light that we tend to think of as white (although we aren’t really seeing the light itself, but what it does to things it shines upon). On the other side of the prism, we see the colors of the spectrum of light as the prism refracts each color at a slightly different angle.

          Those who see contradictions in the Bible hold to such a belief in the way that someone might suggest that believing that light is green, and believing that light is red, is a contradiction. Those who understand light (and God is Light[1]), do not see any contradiction at all, since we are really talking about different expressions of the attributes and activity of the same infinite and eternal God.

          In a sense, the Bible allows me to believe that God is Light, and that God is every color of the spectrum of Light, all at the same time, no fudging required. The Bible also allows me to believe everything it teaches about everything without having to fudge the Bible to match some real, verifiable evidence of history, archeology, science or any other category of discoveries we can think of.

          There are so many books, and blogs, and videos out there that would help anyone explore these things for themselves. My purpose in this post is to give a brief testimony to my own lifetime of having to test everything that people suggest are contradictory beliefs or worldviews. I can sincerely say that, I can hold to a sincere, biblical, faith-in-Jesus-Christ worldview, without having to fudge anything at all.

          I encourage anyone who has given up hope in trusting the real Bible that it is not belief in the Bible that is doing all the fudging that is going on out there. Even the Bible’s declaration that falsehood and deception will be chosen by the majority, and truth and faith will be followed by the few, is precisely what we see around us all the time.[2]

          God is still seeking those who will delight[3] in him “in spirit and in truth”.[4] Jesus continues to invite each of us to be one of these children[5], no fudging required.

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)



[1] I John 1:5
[2] Matthew 7:13-14; Matthew 24:9-14
[3] Psalm 37:4
[4] John 4:23-24
[5] Matthew 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment