Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ An Empathetic Feeling of Injustice

          This morning I was overwhelmed with the painful consciousness of injustice. I know that the world stumbles over the belief that God allows injustice to prevail. I know that many people struggle through life with a need to see guilty people punished because they have longstanding childhood trauma that continues to fit the description of utter injustice against the innocent.

          I know that the pain of injustice affects women as well as men, for the stories are all around us of abusers “getting away” with things they have done wrong. I also know what it feels like to be a man who has to bear with his wife and children hurting over the consequences of another person’s sinful actions that never seem to be brought to justice.

          With all these feelings churning within me, I brought my heart to God and followed his invitation to: “Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches! Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord! Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint for hunger at the head of every street.”[1] Let’s just say that the Lord heard me pour out a lot of grief for the injustices against my children.

          Then there is the further invitation: “My eyes will flow without ceasing, without respite, until the Lord from heaven looks down and sees; my eyes cause me grief at the fate of all the daughters of my city.[2] Since my wife is one of the “daughters” of my world, a world that has treated her with much injustice, I found it healing to let my heavenly Father know how I felt about all this.

          The point is simply that it is God himself who calls people in general, and men in particular, to cry out to him about the injustice that grievously wounds them and their loved ones. However, there is a way that people can present these things to God so that it fuels their bitterness and leaves them angry and distant from the Father in heaven. But, there is also a way that people with faith in Jesus Christ present these heartaches to their Father so that it results in healing to their own souls, and soothing comfort to offer to those who suffer in this way.

          It is very fitting that God would teach me this lesson on this particular day. It is the day we call “Good Friday”. It commemorates the Friday that Jesus was crucified. It is “good” because Jesus’ death was for the sins of others, and all the “others” who receive his gift, his payment for their sins, have their sins washed away[3] so they can know God’s love for them without any fear of punishment at all.[4]

          So, what does a heart-wrenching journey into all kinds of feelings of injustice have to do with Jesus laying down his life for the sins of the world? Answer: it brought me to have some feeling of what it was like for Jesus to suffer for the sins of others.

          After all, is that not what our struggle with injustice is all about? Isn’t it that we are hurt, and upset, and angry that we have to suffer because of another person’s sins? Isn’t that what we keep complaining to God about, that he would dare to allow us so much pain in our lives because someone else did something sinful to us, and then seems to be free to carry on through life as if nothing ever happened?

          Isn’t that exactly what Jesus endured? Isn’t it true that, “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed”?[5] Do you see that? Do you see the injustice of Jesus bearing “our” sins on “his” body?

          But, do you see the utter love that would bear that willingly, would create man from dust knowing that one day he would die for that man’s sin? Do you see the love of Jesus, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God”?[6]

          And, would you share with me this wonder that God would pick the day people commemorate the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ to open the flood gates of pain to my own feelings of injustice, all so that I could feel the wonder, the awe, the reverence for my Savior who would bear such feelings WILLINGLY?!

          All week I have been preparing for my Easter Sunday message which includes this verse: “…that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings…”[7] This morning God gave me a feel of what I will be sharing with others. If we truly want to know Jesus, and we most definitely want to know the power of his resurrection, then we must also know what it feels like to share in his sufferings.

          I testify that, this morning, God very graciously let me feel an extremely personal experience of the pain of injustice, so that he could lovingly and graciously take me into his arms, and hold me close to his heart,[8]where I could hear the heartbeat of this love that knows the feeling of injustice far more than I could ever experience. He died for MY sins.[9] His experience of injustice now makes God just[10] to pick me up and hold me close without any fear that he will ever judge me as my sins deserve. [11]

          I am thankful that Jesus let me “lose myself” in laying my complaint before him.[12] It got me ready for something very special. I felt the wonder of his willing submission to injustice.  Who but Jesus would think of such a thing? And, who but my Father would think of teaching me this today.

          From my heart,

          Monte



[1] Lamentations 2:19
[2] Lamentations 3:49-51
[3] Acts 22:16
[4] I John 4:18
[5] I Peter 2:24
[6] Hebrews 12:2
[7] Philippians 3:10
[8] Isaiah 40:11
[9] Isaiah 53:4-6
[10] Romans 3:26
[11] Romans 5:10
[12] Psalm 142:2

No comments:

Post a Comment