Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Pastoral Pings ~ Unimaginable Answers to Prayer

          Tuesday night our home church had our prayer meeting. We presented things to the Living God in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior, and are now waiting in expectation[1] for his answers. As I began seeking God the next morning, I was drawn to consider a particular dimension of what his answers may look like.

          My attention came to rest on this expression from God’s word: “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think…”[2]This led me to wonder what I could expect to see this week if God was going to do “far more abundantly” than all that we asked, thought or imagined in prayer.

          The first consideration has to revolve around things God would do in ourselves that we couldn’t even imagine needing to be done. After all, the God-chosen blueprint for our maturity is that we end up being like Jesus. Our sarky inability to see ourselves honestly means that God will have to keep surprising us with exposure of things that are wrong with us, and invitations into his mind-boggling work of making us like his Son.

          Presuming that we have prayed that God’s will would be done in ourselves as it is done in heaven,[3] we have to expect that he will do things in us that are beyond our imagining or asking. This means that we should see things on a daily basis that are of the “deeper” and “higher” variety. The “deeper” things are unexpected disclosures of things that are broken inside us at a deeper level than we have looked before. The “higher” things are the unexpected insights into things about God we have not experienced before.

          It should be no surprise that we are surprised with both the “higher” and “deeper” whenever we pray for anything at all, since God’s work of making us like Jesus is the biggest work he is doing in our lives. This is why people who set out to really get to know God also find that they also begin to really get to know themselves. The Beatitudes[4] make it clear that hungering and thirsting for God’s righteousness begins with feeling, even mourning, our poverty of spirit.

          One thing that helped me the most to appreciate what God is doing in me right now is associated with the apostle John on the Island of Patmos.[5] As I considered various reasons that he was isolated like that, I was encouraged with the picture of God’s work in John at that time. As I sometimes find myself isolated from the larger expressions of the body of Christ, John’s example of continuing “in the Spirit”,[6] encouraged me to seek the fullness of the Spirit in my own “Patmos” experiences. No matter what I am going through, I want to be “filled with the Spirit”[7] as God’s word commands.

          Once I have seen how God is doing unimagined and unasked things in me, I spend the rest of the day watching for how he continues the surprising answers to our prayers in things going on around me. I cannot itemize the different things I have noticed God doing simply because they involve other people. I will just say that, the very morning after our prayer meeting, I had a couple of talks with people that I now have on my prayer list. By week’s end my prayer list has grown based on things I have seen God doing this week that I hadn’t thought to ask for.

          My main point in this is simple: watch and pray;[8] and pray and watch.[9] The two together will help us watch what to pray for, and then watch for answers to our prayers that stretch us beyond what we thought or asked. If we will write down the people we suddenly meet, or the situations we suddenly face, and consider them part of God’s answers to our prayers, and then bring these things back to prayer meetings with the expectation that God will still be doing more than we can ask or think, we will find our hearts feeling a rising surge of joy even while things are not turning out the way we thought or imagined.

          In the end, it is only when we delight ourselves in the Lord, including his unimagined and unasked answers to our prayers, that we truly experience the desires of our hearts.[10] After all, we are being conformed to the likeness of Jesus Christ,[11] so it makes sense that we would delight to do our Father’s will as much as he does,[12] even when that will of our Father is a completely unexpected expression of the plans and purposes of God in us and around us.

          Conclusion: If we truly want God’s will to be done on earth as it is in heaven, we must expect to experience his will in all kinds of unexpected, unimagined, and unasked ways.

          From my heart,

          Monte

© 2013 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com


[1] Psalm 5:3
[2] Ephesians 3:20
[3] Matthew 6:10
[4] Matthew 5:1-12
[5] Revelation 1:9
[6] Revelation 1:10
[7] Ephesians 5:18
[8] Matthew 26:41
[9] Colossians 4:2
[10] Psalm 37:4
[11] Romans 8:29
[12] John 4:34; Psalm 40:8

No comments:

Post a Comment