Pages

Friday, May 24, 2024

A Journal Journey with Brad Jersak’s “Different” Jesus – Day 25

  

Examining "A More Christlike Word" by Brad Jersak

Day 25 

“For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.” (Paul’s concern from 2 Corinthians 11:4) 

The False Filter

The Biblical Filter

The word OR the Word

The Word THROUGH the word

   I have called my testing of BJ’s book a journey because it is now part of my life story. Testing the teachings in A More Christlike Word is forcing me to travel through someone else’s thoughts. However, it is only one of the things God is doing in my life. I’m still having my morning time with God in his word and prayer. I’m still serving God’s people as a home church pastor and assisting my wife with our in-home family daycare. I’m still sharing encouragement from my time with God online, journaling my journey through this book, and looking for opportunities to talk to people about the true Lord Jesus Christ as often as I recognize them. And, of course, showing people how we can get to know God in a real and personal way as we interact with his word, the Bible, as his "living and active" word.

   I say this because this journey is not merely about trying to understand the mind of someone I thought was a false teacher. It’s about including it as one facet of God’s work in my life that will harmonize with all the rest. So, even though the topic BJ has set before me is the canonicity of the Scriptures, I first meet with God in his word to find out what topic he has in mind for each day. 

   And today he gave me some things to share that clearly affirm Jesus’ relationship to the Scriptures as the word of God so I can show these things to my hiking group before we set off for the day. This comes with the reminder that BJ’s teaching about the inspiration, inerrancy, infallibility, and authority of the Scriptures lacked references to Scripture! So, here are some Scriptures that stood out in my time with God this morning in the very next section of God’s word I came to, Matthew 10. And those Scriptures continue to show that BJ’s book is definitely not “plumb”!

   First, as Jesus is instructing the Twelve disciples regarding their first mission without him (physically), he made a reference to an event he treated as historical, not fictitious or figurative. He told them,

And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. (Matthew 10:14-15)

1.     Jesus spoke of what the Old Testament Scriptures wrote about “Sodom and Gomorrah” as true history (he equated what happened there with what would happen in the real-life scenario that some of the towns might refuse the disciples). Even his use of "truly" adds emphasis that there is no room for fictional or figurative interpretations!

2.    Jesus was treating the disciples as his representatives who were to follow his instructions so they were doing the same things as he was doing (the whole context bears this out clearly).

3.    Jesus spoke of God’s judgment on a town that rejected his disciples as greater than what history told of God’s judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah.

4.    In doing this, we do not have the Christlike person of God correcting the unChristlike Yahweh of the Scriptures, but Jesus taking what Yahweh did to Sodom and Gomorrah (wiping out all the people in his judgment against them) and declaring even greater judgment on any of the towns or cities of Israel that rejected his disciples.

5.    Conclusion: in simply reading the text as it is written, it describes Jesus treating an event of history as real, not figurative; he spoke of what would happen to certain towns as real, not figurative; and he spoke of the judgment of God in the Scriptures as not only approved by Christ, but the Christ was going even further by declaring greater judgment on the contemporary towns and cities that rejected his disciples. None of that is treating history figuratively, treating God’s judgment on the nations as unChristlike, or viewing the justice of God as anthropomorphic. And I got all that just from my daily time with God in his word and prayer!

   Second, Jesus clarified this about what the disciples would speak in his name,

When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. (Matthew 10:19-20). 

1.     This is Jesus speaking, so that makes his words “the word of Christ”. 

2.    What Matthew recorded is Scripture because it is the written version of what the Word spoke as “the word of God”.

3.    Jesus said that what the disciples were to say would be “given” to them, which means their words were coming from a higher authority (which is why towns and cities would be judged so severely). 

4.    Jesus clarifies that it would not be the disciples speaking, “but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.” 

5.    This is a description (I’m smiling at what a delightful gift this is) of what it looks like for God to breathe out the Scriptures by men being carried along by the Holy Spirit. It would be “the Spirit” speaking through them, but as “the Spirit of the Father”, which means what Jesus said about the Spirit speaking only what he was given by the Father, which means this is the Father speaking! And the scriptural account of this is as much “the word of God” as Jesus speaking those words to his disciples!

6.    This might sound redundant, but the glory of this gift is growing even as I interact with it. The Father will be speaking. He will be speaking through his Spirit. His Spirit will be giving the disciples what they are to say. When the disciples speak to the towns and cities, they will be speaking “the word of God”. It is Jesus, the Word of God, telling us this. It is now recorded as his words in the word so we now have the Scripture of what the Word spoke.

7.    And the whole Triune God is involved in telling us this in the harmonious layers of both the spoken and written word so that, just before we hike into BJ’s mind about canonicity, God has made sure that everyone knows “we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God” (II Corinthians 4:2). 

8.    Conclusion: What Jesus said here about the disciples as they were preparing for their first mission’s trip without him is parallel to what Peter later wrote in Scripture about how the Scriptures came about: “For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (II Peter 1:21). Jesus said that “it is not you who speak,” and Peter said that nothing we have in Scripture “was ever produced by the will of man”. Jesus said that what the disciples would be given to speak was “the Spirit of your Father speaking through you”, and Peter wrote into Scripture that Scripture came as “men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit”. This settles that “all Scripture is breathed out by God” in the writing of the apostles (not in the reading of the readers), and that there is no way BJ is correct to claim that “breathed out by God” includes a mix of what God tried to say to men and what those men ended up writing down with whatever errors and misunderstandings they added to the mix (because God foolishly let his kids do the writing). This is what God wanted me to see before looking at what BJ is going to do with “canonicity”!

   (Note: on the morning of learning these things from the Word through the word I was able to get out for my walk and make a short video sharing what I learned. If you take the time to watch it you will be able to hear my “tone” in sharing about these things, and it may help you “hear” what I sound like if I were speaking the things I have written. The link is in this footnote[1])

   With all that in mind as God’s prelude to today’s journey, and knowing that thus far along the garden path BJ is quite fine “tampering” with “God’s word”, turning “the open statement of the truth” of God’s word into figurative lessons, and using his own “open statement” of false teachings to make clear how we are to identify him “in the sight of God”, we press on to examine how BJ thinks we got our Bibles, and how others agree or disagree.

CANONICITY

   Because the issue of “canonicity” is dealing with how the Bible is recognized to be the word of God, my focus in examining BJ’s thoughts on this matter begins with our heritage. As with the friend who was posting scary things that turned out to be from BJ’s way of thinking, all of us have a heritage that already treated the Bible like the whole thing is “the Scriptures”, which means it is “the word of God”, which means that everything related to the Scriptures and God’s words applies, which also means that the Scriptures are of the same character as the Triune (because they are his words!).

   This means that I believe that God has already secured in what we call the Old Testament the Scriptures he breathed out to guide his people to the first coming of Christ, and I believe that he has secured in what we call the New Testament the Scriptures he breathed out to guide his people to the second coming of Christ. As BJ addresses issues related to the history of how these Scriptures were gathered and acknowledged as the authoritative word of God, we will be looking for how he reasons things out to justify why he is heading in quite a different direction from our heritage.

   Note: I have already had to change my mind about some things that were part of my heritage in the church when I discovered what the Bible taught on the matter, but it was Scripture that changed my mind, not people tampering with God’s word. So too, although I came into this admitting I already thought BJ was a false teacher, that was not to say I am unwilling to change my mind through what he shared, but that I already had some experience testing his teachings with Scripture. I am quite willing to give up anything from my heritage that is in conflict with the word of God. However, 65 years in, I have never heard of anything regarding treating the Bible as “the whole counsel of God” that would make me think that I am wrong on this matter.

   At the same time, because I am responding to this out of a lifetime of knowing the Bible was the word of God, and a few decades of experiencing what happens when we relate to it like God is still speaking to his children through his word, and because I have never come across anything discordant to the harmonious message that what we have in “the Bible” speaks as the word of God from beginning to end, this is a very personal journey for me because it is like someone wants me to take back what I’ve already learned and experienced. I am going to test whatever BJ says in this section honestly, but will likely need to defer to those who have a much greater understanding of the details of history regarding the collection of the Scriptures into the Bible.

   Obviously, we are seeking to answer the question of whether the Bible as we have it now is God’s word. We know that the Scriptures we call the Old Testament are God’s word because that’s what Jesus called them. We are now dealing with the addition of the New Testament writings and must settle how we know these are just as much Scripture as the Old.

   Now, since I’ve already made a decent day’s journey in our ongoing look at the authority of Scripture, let me set the tone for our next day’s adventure. Of the two senses of authority given in this book, the canonicity of Scripture relates to the second sense of how the Scriptures we have in the Bible were recognized to possess authority. This does not touch on the first sense of authority, that the sources wrote like they had authority, because that is already obviously and objectively established. 

   However, this does challenge BJ’s third sense (that wasn’t part of the definition of authoritative) that the reader is free to decide that scriptures can be taken figuratively in a moral-of-the-story kind of way. That certainly has no authority according to the first sense, and does not fit what Israel or the Church recognized as possessing authority.

   So far, BJ has presented nothing to change my mind that what we have in the Bible is the authoritative word of God. I will start my day tomorrow meeting with God, listening to his word, paying attention to whatever the Spirit teaches and reminds me about from God’s word, and planning to put into practice whatever the Scriptures teach me, reprove me, correct me, and train me in righteousness (II Timothy 3:16-17).

   After all, I certainly want to be fully prepared for the good work of bringing BJ’s garden path into the light where… (drum roll please)… God’s word “is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105)!

 

© 2024 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

A More Christlike Word © 2021 by Bradley Jersak Whitaker House 1030 Hunt Valley Circle • New Kensington, PA 15068 www.whitakerhouse.com

Jersak, Bradley. A More Christlike Word: Reading Scripture the Emmaus Way. Whitaker House. Kindle Edition.

Definitions from the Bible Sense Lexicon (BSL) in Logos Bible Systems

 




[1] The Ways God Speaks for the Ways He Works 

A central theme to all my sharing is to testify how God speaks through his word in such personal ways that relate to the very things we are going through. This morning, God taught me some things from Matthew 10 that gave me exactly what I needed to share as I began my next day's journey through a book that is convincing many people to disparage what is written in the Scriptures. For over thirty years, the way God has spoken to me through his word almost every morning has magnified the glory of his words as the way we attach to him in faith and get to know him better every day than we have ever known him before. 

https://youtu.be/K_MDu2e0ay4

 

No comments:

Post a Comment