Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Vlog: Leaving the Darkness and Living the Light

This past Sunday morning was our unfortunate Autumn time-change. However, since putting the clocks back an hour gave me a bit of extra time before church, I decided to head out into the beautiful morning and try a vlog-video summarizing what I would be sharing in our home church a couple of hours later. 

Funny thing is that I scared myself for a few seconds as I was driving out of town. When I glanced at the clock in the car, I thought I had totally miscalculated the opportunity to fit this in to my morning. What a relief to remind myself I hadn’t changed the time yet! 

The focus of this vlog-post is the contrast between what it means to walk in the darkness (as it increases all around us), and what it means to walk in the light. This is what we call an “identity issue” for someone who has received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.  

Everyone lives out of a sense of identity, a belief about who we are. However, many of us have such a skewed sense of who we are that we have trouble living up to our high calling in the Lord Jesus Christ. It is actually twenty-eight years ago that this was first brought to my attention, and now I see it as both a very common problem among God’s children, and an opportunity to share a very glorious and gracious solution from our heavenly Father. 

Here is the chart we worked on in home church that Sunday morning. It shows some of the contrasting things God has taught us over the years. I would be happy to explain any of them. However, the encouragement is to do something like this for yourself, identifying the contrast between how you would live if your identity is “light in the Lord”, and how this gets sabotaged by accepting a ”darkness” identity instead.
 

This chart adds the truths of Paul’s teaching about this where he clarifies the differences between walking in the Spirit or walking in the flesh (what we refer to as the “sark”) in Romans 8.[1] It makes the issue about where we “set” our minds. 

While this vlog-post is a very short summary of what we looked at regarding our identity as God’s children of light, I encourage you to open your heart to ask God to show you any ways you perceive yourself as darkness and ask him to lead you to know him as the light of the world so you can know what it feels like to be light in him. 

If that means you need to receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior because you have never received his light, this is encouragement for you to do just that. If you discover that you are living out of a wrong belief about who you are in Christ, and hurting yourself with negative thoughts, beliefs and feelings that have no place in the child of God, this is encouragement to take hold of what is already yours in Christ and live out who you are as “children of light”. 

And, if you need help knowing how to do all this, either talk to someone you know who is a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, show them what I have shared here, and ask them to help you know God like this, or send me an email and I would be happy to share this good news with you. Whatever the case, please let the words of Jesus Christ settle into your heart so you can know who you are to the Creator as one of his children. 

Let the light-display begin!

 



© 2021 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)



[1] Romans 8:4-6 (in context of Romans 8:1-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment