Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2021

The Best and the Worst for Jesus


You know how our immature little hearts like to think that we have endured worse things than anyone else? Even seniors are known to compete over whose surgery wins the award for worst experience ever. We want our good stuff to be the best and our bad experiences to be the worst as if we gain our status from what we have gone through.

Today it has been a special ministry to me to face the Lord Jesus Christ who knows the best and the worst more intensely than I can imagine.

Think about it. As the image of the invisible God and the radiance of his glory, living in the eternal realm with his Father where they share the fullness of joy and pleasures of attachment that continue forever, Jesus knows the perfection of love and joy and peace beyond our capacity to feel or comprehend.

On the other hand, when Jesus was “despised and rejected by men,”[1] the extreme contrast between what he deserved and what he received was so unthinkably huge that I am in wonder at the divine seashore knowing I can never fathom the depths of what this would feel like.

I think of the eternal Son of God who radiates “joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory”[2] coming into our world to experience life as “a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief,” and my mind is blown trying to understand such an extreme contrast of experience.

When I know that the Lord Jesus Christ is the way that God would “make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you,” and the one through whom he would “lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace,”[3] and yet he would be “as one from whom men hide their faces,” I know I am in the presence of greater injustice than I have ever experienced.

And, to have the One who “has made everything beautiful in its time,”[4] experience being “despised, and we esteemed him not,” puts the brain into shock with the horror of the discrepancy. How is it possible that the one who has given humanity the best of what it has ever known then experience from humanity such a lack of esteem for who he is and what he has done that we would sink to the extreme of despising him? How is that possible?!!!

And now I grapple with this wonder, that such a Savior as this has “searched me and known me.”[5] So when he finds that I despise him by preferring my dusty reflections to his eternally glorious thoughts, he has already felt being despised to such an extreme that I can know my sin of scorning him is forgiven.

When he investigates my soul and sees the attachment-pain of one who has been despised and rejected of other specks of dust, he feels such real knowingness of what that feels like that my tiny experience of heartache is comforted by his superabounding love and grace and mercy.

I tremble to even let myself consider such a thing, but when he who searches hearts and minds sees into my hidden places where I feel like a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, and he reveals himself to me as one who has felt and experienced these things more intensely than I can imagine, I feel the comfort of not only the divine God who is perfect in his overflowing sympathies, but this wonder of reality that Jesus KNOWS WHAT I FEEL LIKE!!!

The horrifying thing is that Jesus is still “despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief”. People are still hiding their faces from him as if he is contemptible. They still despise him instead of giving him the esteem he deserves as Creator, Savior and Lord.

What comes over my soul in a fresh way is that Jesus wants me to feel him sharing in my heartaches as the man of sorrows who is acquainted with any kind of grief I have experienced, so that I can “rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.”[6]

And the reason I can share in Christ’s sufferings now with my hope set on the day that Jesus’ glory is revealed is because he has already spoken to me the things that will cause his joy to flow into me and my joy to be filled to the full,[7] and one day soon I will enter into the joy of my Master forever.

 

© 2021 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

 

 

 

 



[1] Isaiah 53:3

[2] I Peter 1:8

[3] Numbers 6:22-27

[4] Ecclesiastes 3:11

[5] Psalm 139:1

[6] I Peter 4:13

[7] John 15:11 (in context of John 15:1-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment