Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The Father, the Son, the Sheep, are One


My morning time with God began with my usual greeting to God standing out in a glorious way, “Our Father in heaven”.[1] I was overwhelmed with wonder-filled thoughts that God is OUR Father, that he is the FATHER we are all looking for, and that he is IN HEAVEN, in heavenly distinction from every other father in the whole wide world.

All of this means that our time with God is radically and wonderfully different than anything we have experienced from our dads (just sayin’).

I ended up looking at many Scriptures that talk about this relationship we have, especially in the emphasis that we now have the same relationship to God as Father as belongs to Jesus. As unthinkable as it is, Jesus wants us to know HIS Father as OUR Father.

The passage I settled into, likely for a few days, is something Jesus included in his High Priestly prayer of John 17. Here is an introduction, separated into distinct thoughts so you can see where my meditations on the word are going:

“My sheep…”

“My sheep hear my voice,”

“and I know them,”

“and they follow me.”

“I give them eternal life,”

and they will never perish,”

“and no one will snatch them out of my hand.”

“My Father,”

“My Father, who has given them to me,”

“is greater than all,”

“and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.”

“I and the Father are one.”[2]

I have found a vein of gold in the quarry, and what I have seen today promises me so many treasures of wisdom and knowledge as I continue to dig away through the rest of the week. Today, “OUR Father in heaven,” will be the treasure in my hand that holds my wondering heart in worship and praise that such a thing is true.

© 2020 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

 



[1] The way Jesus taught us to address our heavenly Father in prayer in the Disciples’ Prayer of Matthew 6:9-13

[2] John 10:27-30

No comments:

Post a Comment