Pages

Monday, July 24, 2017

The Gardener's Glory in the Branches' Joy


Once again I share like this in the hope that my personal testimony will encourage and help you in your walk with God, and that it will encourage you to have your own daily time with God, prayerfully meditating on his word, so that the Holy Spirit can minister to you all that is on Father’s heart for your place in the body of Christ.

Yesterday, God drew my attention once again to joy. Early in the day the focus was on this verse:

You make known to me the path of life;    in your presence there is fullness of joy;    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.[1]

There is no greater joy than the fullness of joy in God our Father since his fullness of joy is as full as joy can be. There is no more lasting pleasure than the pleasures at his right hand since they are forevermore and there is nothing longer than that!

With that in mind, the joy my soul longs for is found in God the Father. Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father,[2] the image of the pleasures of the invisible God, the Word who speaks the pleasures of God into our hearts.[3] Together, they pour their love into our hearts through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit,[4] and so, “the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.”[5]

By the end of the day, my attention was drawn to the reminder that the “fruit of the Spirit” includes “joy”.[6] This suddenly hit me in a more personal way than I had ever considered it before. The “fruit of the Spirit” does not speak of some impersonal thing the Holy Spirit does in the background, sneaking into my life at night and producing fruit that has nothing to do with my own attachment to him. Neither does it speak of something that I must do as though God is telling me that, now that I have the Spirit, it is up to me to produce joy in my life.

No, this was a realization that everything to do with the calling on the church to “be filled with the Spirit”,[7] to “serve in the new way of the Spirit”,[8] to “walk by the Spirit”,[9] and “keep in step with the Spirit”,[10] is an invitation into a personal fellowship with the Holy Spirit in which hearts that are filled with the Spirit bear a certain kind of fruit as a result.[11]

For me, this was already an extremely personal comfort as I could see how Father was ministering things into my soul. For a long time I have seen this, that God wants me to know his desire to have an intimate love relationship with me unlike anything I could have ever conceived.[12] This reminder that joy is the fruit of fellowship with the Holy Spirit, not something I have to try to do or be, gave me such hope and encouragement as I realized that this was a work God was doing in me, and it was his will and desire that I experience joy that is “inexpressible and filled with glory.”[13]

As I met with God this morning, talking to him about where these things were taking me, the call to joy became all the more encouraging as I understood this as something I could work out with fear and trembling because of the way God was already working in me to will and to work for his good pleasure.[14] By the time I moved into my downstairs prayer time I discovered that Father had a very special lesson for me that was more of a personal encounter than a mere intellectual understanding of something that is true.

For a long time I have understood that Jesus is the vine, I am one of his branches, and when the church abides in Jesus we bear much fruit.[15] However, my good-boy propensities often seek to sabotage this by putting the focus on me trying to bear much fruit rather than me resting in the abiding relationship with Jesus that would naturally bear much fruit simply because the life of Jesus is flowing to and through my life.

The special and gracious gift God had waiting for me was when I received the reminder that, “my Father is the vinedresser”,[16] or, “my Father is the gardener.”[17] I suddenly saw a connection between the Father as the gardener, and Jesus’ declaration that, “By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.”[18]

Part of yesterday’s ministry to my soul was John Piper’s summary statement that, “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.”[19] It has been a long journey for me to accept this deeply, that God is not glorified because I do such a good job of serving him, but because I find such satisfaction in him that everyone knows he is the most glorious person we could ever know.

When I came to this declaration of Jesus that our Father is glorified in our bearing of fruit, I suddenly “got it”. Father is not glorified because I do such a good job of serving him that people see that because I’m such a good guy I must surely have a good Father. No, the gospel is quite different than that.

Instead, when I look at the whole picture, that Father is the gardener, the pruner of the vineyard, and Jesus is the perfect vine, with us prune-needy believers as his branches, when Jesus says that his Father is glorified when we bear much fruit it is similar to what people think of me as a gardener when they walk into my garden!

In other words, in the same way as people feel impressed with a gardener’s abilities simply because they see how fruitful his garden is, so Jesus used this simple and basic metaphor to show us how our lives show people around us that our Father is the most glorious person in the whole wide world. When we go around showing how good we are, like the religious hypocrites of Jesus’ day, people only see how good we are, and we receive whatever limited reward we get from their pats on the back.[20]

But when we bear much fruit, it glorifies our Father since he is the gardener who prunes the branches to that end. As people see that my son is a good pruner when they know that he pruned my trees and they are loaded with fruit, so people look at the good fruit in our lives and see that the gardener has done an amazing job. He has taken branches from a wild vine that was rebellious and sinful in every way, and grafted us into his Son so that the life of Jesus now flows through us, and when these grafted in branches bear much fruit, people will see what a glorious gardener we have over the household of God.[21] The fact that he is our Father makes it all the more glorious as we add in all the great truths of redemption so it includes the great cost of our salvation through the death of Jesus Christ.

I know that emotionalism is not automatically evidence of the Holy Spirit’s work. However, I also know that we cannot understand the things of God without the direct ministry of the Holy Spirit.[22] So, to some extent the Holy Spirit taught me these things today, and reminded me of things I had already been taught,[23] causing a sudden burst of tears of joy that God was releasing me from trying to bear fruit, from the curse of poisoning thoughts of fruit-bearing with the wrong beliefs of self-effort, and assuring me that I would bear much fruit through abiding in Jesus by grace through faith, not by trying to add my good works to his.

It is very interesting that Jesus concluded this section on the vine and branches by telling his disciples, “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”[24]

Do you see that? Jesus has told us about the Father’s work in us, and our relationship to Jesus, and how we give God glory through our own bearing of fruit, and then he tells us that his own joy would be in us through our attachment to him in his words (the vine sending his own joy into the branches), and our joy would be filled to the full through our experience of these things (the joy of the branches maximized), so that whatever pruning Father must do in order to make us to bear much fruit would give him exceptional glory through our lives since the fact that he could cause people like us to bear much fruit magnifies the superior skills of the gardener.

Part of this ministry to me today was simply the fact that Father would add so much comfort to my life by making something clear to me that I needed to know. The other part of this was the specific encounter with God in which his Spirit taught me more of what it means to abide in the vine, or to rest in the Lord Jesus Christ, so Father is free to make us so fruitful that it reveals his glory to all. The fact that he would include me in this at all is also to his glory!

© 2017 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)





[1] Psalm 16:11
[3] Jesus is the image of God (Colossians 1:15), the Word of God (John 1:1-3), the radiance of God’s glory (Hebrews 1:3), all showing that Jesus is the one through whom we come to know the Father (John 14:8-11).
[4] Romans 5:5
[5] Romans 14:17
[6] Galatians 5:22-23
[7] Ephesians 5:18
[8] Romans 7:6
[9] Galatians 5:16
[10] Galatians 5:25
[11] It is the apostle Paul who wrote down the breathed-out words of God, pronouncing his desire on the church that all of us experience “the fellowship of the Holy Spirit” (II Corinthians 13:14).
[12] John 17:3 speaks of eternal life as “knowing” God; Paul’s prayers in Ephesians 1:15-23, Ephesians 3:14-21, and Colossians 1:9-14, all aim towards us knowing God in a deeply personal relationship.
[13] I Peter 1:8
[14] Philippians 2:12-13
[15] John 15:11
[16] John 15:1
[17] John 15:1 ~ NIV
[18] John 15:8
[19] John Piper, Desiring God Ministries: http://www.desiringgod.org/
[20] In Matthew 6 Jesus addressed different ways the religious elite did their good deeds in hypocrisy, and each time concluded that, “they have received their reward” (Matthew 6:2, 16). Whatever applause or recognition they received was the only reward they would get since God would never reward such false expressions of goodness.
[21] Paul uses the imagery of wild branches grafted in (Romans 11:17-24)/
[22] I Corinthians 2:10-16
[23] The Spirit’s work of teaching and reminding is expressed by Jesus in John 14:26.
[24] John 15:11

No comments:

Post a Comment