Pages

Monday, February 26, 2024

To Live My Scene Well

As I continue looking at John the Baptist preparing the way for Christ, one thing that really stood out today is that our blip of life on earth is really miniscule compared to what God has prepared for us in eternity. We know how God gave Zechariah and Elizabeth the gift of a son in their old age. But next thing we know John is preparing the way for the Christ. And not long after that he is beheaded and ushered into glory. 

While we must always be careful we don’t turn historical events into doctrinal teachings, I had so many examples come to mind where the primary thing we are shown about people is their place in the work of God. A few people are given a longer scene on God’s stage (Noah, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, David, Paul), but most of God’s children that are mentioned in history are only described in terms of their specific place in one particular scene. 

I think of Stephen in Acts who was one of the men chosen as the first deacons. He was clearly known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. He would have served for a while in helping distribute food to the widows. But the spotlight quickly shifts to a day in which he is preaching to the religious elite, and they get so angry at him that they stone him to death. Scene ended. Job done. Death is exit-stage-right. 

So with John. And what it tells me is that I don’t get to tell God how my life turns out. I don’t need to live long to live well. I don’t need to have long-term friendships to have long-term faithfulness. I don’t need to be seen to have substance. I am a branch of Christ’s vine, a member of the body of Christ, and John the Baptist mentors me in living to the full wherever God has put me, to agapè-love to the full everyone he puts in my life, and to trust him to accomplish in me and through me whatever he has uniquely prepared for me to do. 

I now head into this day knowing I have heard what God was speaking to me through his word, seeing what he is doing in me to show me what he is doing around me, and I am ready to join God in his work just like my Savior did before me. I hope to see God glorified as I take my place on the divine stage and play my role with thanksgiving that he has called me into his-story. 

© 2024 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment