Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Jesus is God’s “Yes”

I am on a quest to live in the reality of the Father glorifying the Son in me and through me so the Son may glorify the Father in me and through me. It comes from attaching to Jesus’ prayer, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you”.[1] There is no doubt that this is the Father’s will, so there is no doubt that he will hear and answer such a prayer!

I am overwhelmed with wonder at how many things about Jesus’ relationship to the Father tell us why it must be like this, that Jesus must be glorified in order for the Father to be glorified. It all comes down to Jesus being “the image of the invisible God,”[2] and so we must see the image of God first in order for the Father to be glorified.

This is why Jesus would say, “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.”[3] It wasn’t because Jesus IS the Father, but that he is the image of the Father, and so, if we have seen Jesus, we have seen the Father.

Here is another way this Father/Son relationship is expressed that delighted my heart when I found it: “For all the promises of God find their Yes in him.”[4]

God the Father has made promises to us. These promises are rich and glorious, full of mercy and grace, and absolutely secure to all who receive Christ.

At the same time, our WoLVeS[5] HATE the promises of God! What God has spoken is the “hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began”,[6] and the world, our flesh and the devil do not want us to attach to such realities.  They want to keep us “separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.”[7]And if they can’t keep us in that state, they will work to keep us in that mindset.

God’s Word and word want to help us “hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.”[8] If we believe that the God who promised us eternal life is faithful, we will live in that hope and give glory to God.

On the other hand, if our WoLVeS convince us that the promises of God are somehow void to us, we will live in the stereotypical experience of worthlessness and hopelessness that keep us from enjoying our hope even while all the promises are still true no matter what we believe about them (how sad is that!).

Perhaps you can see why Paul wants us to see Jesus as the “Yes” that fulfills the Father’s promises in our lives. He is the Word that makes real in our lives what the Father has spoken.[9]

As I was praying further in II Corinthians 1 (where Paul speaks of Jesus as the “Yes” of God), the effect that Jesus had on Paul is stretching me into viewpoints of the Beatitudinal Valley[10] that confront my poverty of spirit in knowing Jesus the way Paul described and being as real as Paul because of that relationship.

Facing my poverty in experiencing Christ like this leads me to mourn how miserably deficient I am. This settles me quickly into that familiar meekness that knows I can’t fix me. The awareness that I cannot fix myself creates an intense and hopeful hunger and thirst for the righteousness of being my real self in Jesus Christ.

This longing to be my real self in Christ takes me back to the reality that, in creation, I was made in the image of Jesus Christ as Jesus is the image of the Father;[11] in salvation I am being restored to the image and likeness of the Son,[12] and in the coming glorification I will be just like him as originally intended.[13] And Jesus is the “Yes” who is making it all happen just as the Father determined and promised.

I often hear people talk about prayer as if it is something that works or doesn’t work. It may be pointed out that prayer always works, but sometimes the answer is “no”, like when Amy Carmichael asked God to give her blue eyes.[14]

However, while God may say “no” to a prayer because it is not in line with his will, he will NEVER say “no” to a promise he has made because “all the promises of God find their Yes in Christ.

And that is why I am feeling so much hope about focusing on PRAYING that God the Father would glorify the Son in my life so that Jesus could then glorify the Father through my life. The fulfillment of this prayer is not dependent on me making it happen, but my involvement in the answer does require my faith to attach to such a grace as this, that I could enjoy the experience of God answering my prayer.

It is in the praying of this prayer that we abide in Christ so that the Father can answer this petition, and Jesus will then be the “Yes” of God in doing it!

© 2021 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8

Email: in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)



[1] John 17:1

[2] Colossians 1:15

[3] John 14:9

[4] II Corinthians 1:20

[5] WoLVeS is an acronym for Wounds, Lies, Vows and Strongholds, which is simply a way to understand how childhood wounds turn into issues of bondage and habitual sin. My thanks to Marcus Warner of Deeper Walk International for the initial list of WLVS. Our home church added some vowels to expand the word picture.

[6] Titus 1:2

[7] Ephesians 2:12

[8] Hebrews 10:23

[9] This is why John gives us such a beautiful word-picture of Jesus as the Word of God in John 1:1-5.

[10] This is a metaphor for experiencing the blessings of the Beatitudes as Jesus taught them in Matthew 5:1-12.

[11] Genesis 1:26-27

[12] II Corinthians 3:18

[13] I John 3:1-2 (this must be seen in parallel to Romans 8:28-30 where Paul gives the golden chain of God foreknowing me, predestining me to adoption as his son, calling me with the gospel, justifying me by grace through faith, and one day glorifying me with a full restoration to the image and likeness of Jesus the Christ).

[14] Here is a short version of Amy Carmichael’s story, including a note about her wanting blues eyes instead of brown, and how God’s “no” to that prayer helped her fit right in with the people she spent most of her life helping. https://answersingenesis.org/kids/bible/world-missions/amy-carmichael/

No comments:

Post a Comment