Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Discovering Self-Denial



I can still remember the day that my van had broken down on the way to Horseshoe Bay. I was able to get a ride as far as the ferry terminal, but then ended up waiting for many hours until a man from our home church ministry on Vancouver Island was able to meet me and take me and my stuff across.

During that extended wait, guarding my inordinately large collection of bags and totes, I spent most of my time reading a book about how men grow up.[1] The author, Jim Wilder, takes readers on a journey through the stages of development but with the distinctive focus on how this relates to boys becoming men.

Throughout the book it was intriguing to me that Wilder had such a positive response from men by identifying that most of us are still stuck in the infant and child levels of maturity. At first I wondered how many men would find that insulting, but quickly saw how admitting to where we are really starting from is a message of hope because it shows us how to grow up honestly instead of pretending to be something we are not and never growing up at all.[2]

On that particular outdoor reading session I came across an explanation of what it means to deny ourselves, take up our cross daily, and follow Jesus Christ,[3] that exposed some significant wrong thinking on this teaching, and opened my heart to so much hope and healing I didn’t know I was lacking.

My wrong thinking was that I had understood denying myself to mean denying my personhood, how I am doing, what’s going on with me on the inside, what I am really like. I thought that denying myself meant suppressing real things about me so I could put on a brave front, pretend nothing was wrong, and charge into spiritual battle without any regard for how it was impacting me.

What I had never noticed was that this false form of self-denial required a dependence on my self to make it happen. How did I make sure I didn’t leak out real feelings in my relationship with God? By suppressing them. How did I carry on after traumatic experiences as if nothing happened? By relying on myself to hide the condition of my soul.

The truly deceptive thing was that the whole while I thought I was denying myself I was really depending on myself to handle hurts, and wounds, and brokenness in order to keep them out of my relationship with God. I thought that was the self I was supposed to deny, the one that was broken and wounded, and so I had to rely on myself to keep the real me from knowing how to come to Jesus.

What gave me so much hope in this discovery was that it liberated me to rely on Jesus to handle everything that was broken and wounded within me. Instead of the lie that I was okay, and that I could handle everything myself so I could be there for Jesus as a soldier of the cross, I discovered that I could admit to what was true about me, deny my ability to handle it, and take up the redemptive work of Jesus Christ as the full provision for everything that was wrong with me, wounds included.

This regularly comes up in both my relationship with God and people. Will I rely on myself to be the good Christian who tries to do everything right without any attachment to the true condition of my soul? Or will I humble myself before the mighty hand of God as the only one who can handle what is wrong with me?

What God is working on quite constantly is to get me to admit my true soul- condition, deny any of my sarky efforts to handle it in my own strength,[4] turn to him through the redemptive work of Jesus Christ on the cross, and follow Jesus where he leads me, including through whatever painful feelings and humbling weaknesses are still in me because I am not yet fully like him. As I deny my sark/flesh in its efforts to handle my life, I am then able to admit to everything in my life knowing that it is God who will carry on to completion his good work of conforming me to the image and likeness of his Son.





[1] The Complete Guide to Living with Men, E. James Wilder, Shephard's House, Inc., 2004
[2] This too was a revelation for me, that pretending to be something we are not keeps us from maturing since we are never relating to God out of the true condition of our souls. Only when we come to God in brokenness, admitting the true condition of our souls, can God engage us in his work of leading us to maturity in his Son.
[3] Luke 9:23
[4] I believe that Romans 7 and 8 are an expanded explanation of what Jesus meant by denying ourselves (denying the flesh as the means of making ourselves right with God), taking up our cross daily (everything to do with what Jesus accomplished through his redemptive work on the cross), and now following Jesus by setting our minds on the Spirit. In all of this, we are free to fully acknowledge how we are doing, but we no longer depend on ourselves to handle those things. Instead, we cry out, “Abba! Father!” and come to God with everything, depending on him as the only one who can restore us to the image and likeness of his Son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment