Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Best News in Great Tribulation


This morning, I looked at the clock without my glasses on and thought I had slept an hour longer than usual. There was the immediate disappointment that my time with God would be cut short.

Thankfully, and surprisingly, when I put my glasses on I realized that I was up an hour earlier than usual. Oh well; I had already enjoyed the first sip of my coffee, and I could sneak in a nap right after lunch, so everything looked hopeful.

Except that it is the day after election. The world is the world. As God’s book prophesied, “all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.”[1] And, as an earlier portion of God’s book declared, “What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.”[2]

Where, then, does the child of God get encouragement? From the whole counsel of God’s word, of course.[3]

One of the very special blessings of spending daily time with God in his word is that his words fulfill the beautiful expression that, “The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”[4] In other words, every morning, complete with all its surprises, disappointments, and opportunities, is a new experience of God’s mercies expressed through his words.

For more than a couple of decades I have experienced God’s word speak directly to whatever I am going through at any given time. Sometimes this gives me God’s view of something I am facing. Other times there is a distinctive conviction in regard to some immediate mistake. Some days it seems as though God lays his blueprint over some present worldwide event, and suddenly I see it through his eyes instead of my own.

All that to say that I came to God’s word extra early convinced that God had given me added time with him to make sure I had his view of what is going on in our country, and in the world all around us. As expected, God’s word did what it is sent out to do. “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”[5]

The Scripture God’s Spirit ministered to my heart was this: “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation.”[6]

Why is this so significant, especially on the morning after this Canadian federal election? Because, under the new government, “tribulation” takes on a whole new meaning.

Why does this picture give God’s children something hopeful to carry through whatever increase in tribulation comes to Canada, and whatever great tribulation is experienced around the world? Because it tells us that there is: “a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb.”[7] 

You see, from the viewpoint of the world, the flesh, and the devil, tribulation is aimed at destroying Jesus’ church. At times, it looks like the evil triad is successful.

However, God has a totally different view. Because, “in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us,”[8] the result of all great tribulation is that God adds to the “great multitude that no one could number.” Jesus builds his church.[9] God completes what he started.[10] God presents his children, “blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy.”[11]

Jesus said, “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.”[12] That is what the picture of the numberless multitude standing safe and secure before the throne of God is telling us. These are the ones coming out of whatever great tribulation his people experience in any generation, any country, and under any government.

While I stand on the downward slope heading into whatever the new government has in mind, I already know that I will be among those who come out of every period of great tribulation. It will not be because I am a strong Christian. It will be the result of the faithfulness of my Lord Jesus Christ who will carry on to completion what he has started. As his word says, 
For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.[13]

That is what we see when God shows us this great numberless multitude standing before his throne. They are the ones God knew, predestined, called, justified, and glorified. And, since even the gates of hell cannot stop him, his children put our faith in him to the very end.

© 2015 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)







[1] II Timothy 3:12-13
[2] Ecclesiastes 1:9
[3] Matthew 4:4; Acts 20:26-27
[4] Lamentations 3:22-23
[5] Hebrews 4:12
[6] Revelation 7:14
[7] Revelation 7:9
[8] Romans 8:37
[9] Matthew 16:18
[10] Philippians 1:6
[11] Jude 1:24
[12] John 6:37
[13] Romans 8:29-30

No comments:

Post a Comment