Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Pastoral Ponderings ~ A Child of Grief and Imitation


          One of the wonderfully meaningful facets of walking with God this past couple of decades has been the relationship between my circumstances, and the things God speaks through his word. There have been times that whatever I read in the word on a particular morning was so precisely pointed at something I was going through that I have no doubt God was revealing things to me by his Spirit, just as his word says he would do.[1]
          This moment in time is particularly difficult for me because we are watching a little boy grieving as he is about to lose some of his most important relationships. I have to say it is one of the most painful things I have witnessed in a long time.
          After years of studying the effects of trauma on children, walking with adults who never had healing from their own childhood trauma, and working with children with whom we can focus on constantly returning them to joy, my heart is painfully torn with what to think, feel, and do. It feels like watching a completely preventable accident in slow motion, feeling like there has to be time to protect the child from harm, and yet unable to do anything to stop the inevitable.
          So, what would my heavenly Father have for me as I face my own grief in fellowship with a child’s grief? I know what it feels like to be an adult grieving childhood wounds, but what does it feel like to be a child facing a loss that is coming far too quickly? Is there anything we can do?
          As a child, I remember what it was like to move away from the tiny village of Sandspit after seven years of the best childhood ever. I had no idea what I was losing in both the significance of the place I still consider my hometown, or the importance of my friendships with other children. The insatiable need to “go back” stayed with me for a long time.
          What about when a child is conscious of what and who he is leaving? What about when my own heart is in an eyes-wide-open experience of grief over the losses involved? Is there anything God would give me through his word that would be for me and for the child at the same time?
          While there are times we may want to go look up favorite Psalms to express specific feelings, I have had too many experiences of God surprising me with what was waiting for me in his word as I simply continued on from wherever I left off the previous day. This morning was no exception.
          Although my focus this week is on this verse, “Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us,”[2]by the time I was nearing the end of my time with God yesterday morning, I had already opened up this Scripture to see how it expanded the picture: “You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”[3]
          Yesterday morning, the focus for me was on the way the church grows through imitation. Paul had told the Philippians to join in imitating him, and consider the example they had in both him and Timothy. When he wrote Timothy, he elaborated on how the example this young man had seen in Paul, he was to entrust to “faithful men” who would also “be able to teach others.”
          The picture of the church passing on imitation of “the example,” rather than just doctrinal statements, is gripping my heart with what this means for me. Both Paul and Timothy, along with others “who walk according to the example” we have in Paul and Timothy, continue to set the example I am to follow. I want to come in as one of those “faithful men” who teaches others through example, just as Paul and Timothy have done for me.
          However, it is no accident that I am learning these things right at this time when a child needs my example more than ever. It is no accident that Paul was writing Timothy a letter because they couldn’t be together. In fact, what Paul had written Timothy about passing on his example and teaching to faithful men was written from prison, and very shortly before Paul was executed for his faith in Jesus Christ.
          Could this have anything to do with my example to a young man who is watching his impending loss come far too quickly? All I can say is that it certainly felt that way when these words fell across my heart, “my child.”[4]
          Paul was no fool when it came to his choice of words. If he wanted to emphasize his authority, he was “apostle.” If he wanted to emphasize his place as a fellow believer, he spoke of the church as “brothers.” So, what did he want to emphasize by referring to this young man as, “my child”?
          The apostle had spoken of his relationship to Timothy earlier when he told the Philippian church, “But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel.”[5]Paul and Timothy had a relationship in the kingdom of heaven that felt like “a son with a father.” Their relationship had the special distinction of serving together “in the gospel.” There are so many ways that children like to imitate their parents. What better way than a young man imitating his father in the Lord, and wanting to be just like him in making Jesus known to everyone.
          The comfort to me in this was multi-faceted. On one side is the wonderful encouragement that the true church is a place where relationships become something “in the Lord” that they could never be without mutual faith in Jesus Christ. Paul was able to relate to a younger man in the faith as a son. I get that.
          Another aspect of this blessing was to consider how everything to do with imitating others, and following “the example,” is in the way that children imitate their parents. This is captured so beautifully in Paul’s words, Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”[6]
          Ah, so when Paul said, “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ,”[7]he was speaking in the same terms of children imitating their parents. If anyone knew how to be like the Father, it was Jesus. So, Paul put his focus on imitating Jesus, and called everyone else to imitate him so we would all be doing the same things. He could call the church to imitate God by walking in love just as Jesus walked in love.
          What does this have to do with watching a preventable loss taking place in a child’s life? It tells me that I can set an example of love for him that is like a Father loving and blessing his son, and hope and pray that the love of Jesus in my life has been a solid contribution to him wanting to be an imitator of God as a beloved child.
          One of the key characteristics of imitation is that we are “beloved children.” We are to imitate what we experience of God. As we see and experience how beloved we are to God, we can imitate him, and live the same kind of life of love as Jesus exemplified when he laid down his life for us. Feeling beloved is not something we need to try to do, but something we pass on in relation to how much we have experienced the love of God.
          This means that, at this time in my life, I need to “know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.”[8]It is knowing that love that enables us to set an example of being like Jesus. If Paul could continue being an example to Timothy even from prison, it must be possible for me to be an example to my young friend as he is enters his season of loss and grief. Even when we are apart, God’s love is big enough for us all.
         
© 2015 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)





[1] Luke 2:26; Luke 10:21; John 14:26; Philippians 3:15; II Timothy 2:7; Ephesians 1:17
[2] Philippians 3:17
[3] II Timothy 2:1-2
[4] II Timothy 2:1
[5] Philippians 2:22
[6] Ephesians 5:1-2
[7] I Corinthians 11:1
[8] Ephesians 3:19

No comments:

Post a Comment