Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pastoral Ponderings ~ The Dysfunction and Delight of Pleasing God

          I represent the many people who grew up with a desperate need and longing to please the adults in my life. On the outside, this gave the appearance of being a good kid. Who wouldn’t want children who were consumed with desperation to feel they were pleasing their parents, uncles and aunts, grandparents, school teachers, or club leaders? Children wanting to please? Sounds good, does it not?
          Actually, it does not. At least, it does not in the people-pleasing way that many children have learned. The kind of desire I had to please adults was the sign that something was broken, and I was trying to fix it. My modus-operandi for fixing my broken soul was by being so good that some adult would finally be pleased with me. I longed to see an adult give that smile, that direct look in the eye, that lingering thoughtfulness, that showed that he or she had fully received my gift, was pleased with what I had given, and wished I could know how special I really was.
          From my childhood, I had a growing relationship with God. I had learned quite early that God was watching me from his domain “up there”. I understood the gospel while still an adolescent, and prayed the “sinner’s prayer” at the end of a Sunday School class (although no one in the world knew that I had done so). As a young teenager, I came to understand the “once for all” nature of Jesus’ redemptive work,[1] and so “once and for all,” settled that I had a relationship with him that was based on grace through faith,[2] built upon the solid rock of Jesus’ death on the cross,[3] his victory over sin and death, and his resurrection providing me with a living Savior.
          However, I headed into this real and growing relationship with God with a totally wrong understanding of what it means to please him. Reading that our prayers would be answered, “because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him,”[4] sounded like one thing to me: keep the law, and please him through a perfect record of obedience. If you’re good enough, he will answer your prayers.
          In other words, as I began growing in my relationship with God, I still lived under the impossible weight of thinking that I had to please him the way I had tried to please every adult in my life. It was all about the best behavior, being good, trying harder, making up for the last screw-up, doing better next time, and all the host of misguided and dysfunctional ideas associated with pleasing God.
          When such a people-pleaser-turned-God-pleaser read Scriptures like, “try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord,”[5] it set into motion a frenzy of hopeless consideration of how a sinful little child like myself could possibly find out what was “pleasing to the Lord.” And yet, there it was. Scripture was exhorting me to “try” to do this. I was to expend effort trying. Even if I daily felt like a total failure, I was still to try. Or, so I thought.
          Sadly, in my younger years, I still lived with the blind, false, and childish notion that my mud-pies and dandelions were far more tasty and beautiful than reality would reveal. If trying counted, my trying had to count for something. I had to close my eyes to my failures, and keep a list of my successes (meaning from a child’s viewpoint, of course), and follow every disappointment with a renewed attempt to discover that one thing I could do that would cause…
          Forget about it! There is no possible way that I could live such a good life before God that I could do things that please him! That elusive smile of approval? Never going to happen! That steady gaze of an adult eye that saw me, and took me in as beloved? Not a chance!
          Except that it was mine. It took me a long time to see what God was showing me. It was not his eyes that had difficulty seeing me as the beloved child I had been to him from before the creation of the world.[6] It was my eyes that could not see what was clearly revealed, that my heavenly Father had loved me with an everlasting love,[7] had revealed that love to me through the cross on which Jesus died,[8] and was rejoicing over me “with gladness,” quieting me “by his love,” and exulting over me “with loud singing.”[9]
          Over this unnecessarily long journey, my life did not change from a desire to please God to a freedom to give no thought to pleasing God. Rather, it changed from the hopeless mindset of trying to please God through good works, and discovering that I was pleasing to God by faith. As the writer of Hebrews recorded, “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”[10]
          The declaration that states in the negative, “without faith it is impossible to please him,” announces the wonderful reality that with faith it is possible to please him. In fact, to be a bit more forceful, with faith it is impossible not to please him. Faith, not our good works, is what pleases God. Jesus has done the good works God requires, and now God is pleased when we put our faith in his Son.
          There is some sense in which trying to discern what pleases the Lord means watching for ways to live by faith instead of good works.[11] Pleasing the Lord happens as we keep in step with the Holy Spirit by faith.[12] We please him when we are the branches of the vine that simply remain in Jesus by faith, and so bear much fruit to the Father’s glory.[13] Or, as the writer of Hebrews stated in the conclusion to his chapter on faith, all the people he mentioned were, “commended through their faith.”[14]They were not commended through the good works they performed, but by the faith they had in their hearts that moved them to do the good works prepared for them.[15]
          I recall a time when I thought that Hebrews 11 was the “hall of fame” of the church. I thought of the people listed as the “heroes” of the Christian faith. I couldn’t read about their exploits without seeing it as the good works of people who pleased God through what they did.
          It was far too long into my Christian life before I realized that “heroes of faith” was an oxymoron, a logical contradiction. Faith did not make anyone a hero. Faith did not make people look good. Faith was not good works in action. Faith made God look good since he was the one doing the good works, and our faith simply honored him as faithful. People joined God in his work, not because they were heroes who wanted to display how good they were, but because they were so sure that God would do the whole work himself that they could follow him by faith into whatever he was doing.
          Today, if you feel in your heart a hunger and thirst for the righteousness of pleasing God by faith, watch whatever you go through in the course of the day and see if you can discern what faith would do in response to what God is doing.[16] Faith will indeed do the good works God has prepared in advance for us to do, but knowing that it is the faith that pleases God more than any good works could possibly do.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, Canada, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)




[1] Romans 6:10; Hebrews 7:27; 9:12; 9:26; 10:10; Jude 1:3
[2] Ephesians 2:8-9
[3] Philippians 2:8
[4] I John 3:22
[5] Ephesians 5:10
[6] Ephesians 5:1-2 speaks of Jesus’ disciples as “beloved children,” and Ephesians 1:3-14 shows that God’s determination to have people like me as his children was settled prior to creation. In other words, I was a beloved child in God’s mind before he called space, time, and matter into existence. Everything he did in history, and everything he gives us in his word, is to show us how we can know him as the Father of timeless love.
[7] Psalm 103:17; Jeremiah 31:3; Romans 8:31-39
[8] Romans 5:6-8
[9] Zephaniah 3:17
[10] Hebrews 11:6
[11] Romans 3:28; Galatians 2:16
[12] Galatians 5:16, 25
[13] John 15:1-11, especially 15:8
[14] Hebrews 11:39
[15] Ephesians 2:10 speaks of the good works that come out of our faith in contrast to the faith that saves us without good works as stated in Ephesians 2:8-9.
[16] Jesus gave us a very clear example of this in John 5:1-47 when he healed a man on the Sabbath, got in trouble with the religious elite (that whole thing about not expecting to please many people while seeking to please God), and then explained how he was doing the same works the Father was doing. Jesus’ explanation of how he recognized his Father’s work, and always joined his Father’s work, is a great encouragement to our faith that we can do the same in the things we face each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment