Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pastoral Ponderings ~ Sharing our Thoughts with Father-God

          There are many times when my journey of meditating on God’s word brings me back to Jesus’ declaration that we must be like little children in order to enter the kingdom of heaven.[1] The children in my life cannot know how often I see something they are doing and realize that God is giving me a living illustration of how to approach him as his beloved child. This morning I found my mind once again wandering through the meadow of childlike thoughts, leaving me with the feeling of peaceful wonder at the things that surround me in my Father’s word, even though I wasn’t exactly sure what he was saying!
          What I want to share today is not some grand insight in my journey through the Revelation Museum. Rather, I want to share how a child-minded adult makes the journey, and receives the blessing of Jesus taking us in his arms, holding us close to his heart,[2] and blessing us for reading aloud the book, listening to what is read, and putting into practice all that is taught.[3]
          When I arrived at the sixth seal,[4] I discovered that the unusual description of John’s vision allowed for two possibilities. Did John see a vision that had only one part, and all the details gave a symbolic description of something that would happen at the time of Jesus’ return? Or, did John see a vision that had two parts, the first part to set the stage in order to get John’s attention, and the second part to present the main act that the sixth seal would play out at the end of time?
          This is very important. If the first part of what John saw is included in what will play out on the stage of history to usher in the return of Christ, then we will expect to see things taking place that fulfill the symbolic description of a great earthquake, the sun turning black, the full moon becoming like blood, the stars falling from the sky, the sky vanishing from sight, and every mountain and island disappearing from its place.[5]
          If, on the other hand, the first part of what John saw was the drum roll to get his (and our) attention on the second part, then we would not expect to see these things appear in some symbolic way in history. We would treat the hiding of the sun, moon, stars, sky, mountains, and islands, as a clearing of the stage to get our attention on the thing that is played out as soon as the stage is clear and we will not be distracted from the main event.
          After wondering if this vision was in two parts, rather than one, I took another look at the previous five seals to see if they followed a pattern. Were they all singular visions of what would happen throughout the last hour, or were they two parts, the first to set the stage, and the second to fulfill the script, so to speak. I decided to do a chart to see if things would become clear.

Seal
Setting Stage
Presenting Act
Application

First

Revelation 6:1-2

One of the living creatures calls out a white horse. It’s rider had a bow, and a crown was given to him.
The rider goes out “conquering, and to conquer.”
The Church goes out under the authority of Jesus Christ to conquer the world by making disciples of all nations.

Second

Revelation 6:3-4
The second living creature calls out a fiery red horse. The rider is given a great sword.
The rider has permission “to take peace from the earth, so that people should slay one another.”
While the Church goes out conquering, seeking to bring people to have peace with God, we will never bring peace to the world.

Third

Revelation 6:5-6
The third living creature calls out a black horse. The rider “had a pair of scales in his hand.” Attention is drawn to a voice that appeared to come from “in the midst of the four living creatures.”
The voice announces that there will be highly inflated prices on the most basic and essential food supplies.
While the Church goes out conquering, bringing the bread of life to the world, we will see food shortages, and inflated food prices, continue through the last hour.

Fourth

Revelation 6:7-8
The fourth living creature calls out a pale green horse. The “rider’s name was Death, and Hades followed him.”
Death and Hades were given authority to kill a fourth of the earth with sword, famine, pestilence, and wild beasts.
While the Church goes out conquering, bringing the message of life to the world, the last hour will be characterized by all kinds of deaths through unnatural causes.

Fifth

Revelation 6:9-11
John saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne.”
The souls of the martyrs cry out from under the altar, asking God when justice will be fulfilled. They were given white robes, and told to rest a little longer. There would still be more martyrs until their number was complete.
While the Church goes out conquering, seeking to save people from perishing, the world will respond by putting some of Jesus’ disciples to death. We are assured that all is well with these martyrs so that we will press on no matter how many believers are martyred in the process.

Sixth

Revelation 6:12-17
John saw, a great earthquake, and the sun became black as sackcloth, the full moon became like blood, 13 and the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale. 14 The sky vanished like a scroll that is being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.”
History will conclude with the scene of people calling to the mountains and rocks, ‘Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who is seated on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb, 17 for the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?’”
While the Church goes out conquering, seeking to bring people to see the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ, we are moved to earnestly persevere with this reminder of how horrified the lost will be at the return of Jesus Christ to usher in the wrath of God against the sin of the nations.

          As you may suspect, my time with God this morning ended with a suspicion that the symbolic disappearance of the elements may have been more about introducing the scene to John and his readers, rather than telling us anything that will happen in the history of the last hour itself.
          However, I am NOT presenting this to you as a conclusion, or even as a valid interpretation. In fact, I have been hesitant to share this at all in case it makes anyone think that I am open to whatever rogue thoughts that flit through my mind.
          Rather, I believe that there is a place for childlike considerations of God’s thoughts, where we wonder what something means, consider ideas and options, meditate on things with a dependence on the Holy Spirit to teach us what we don’t know, and remind us of how other things help us understand the Scripture at hand, and enjoy the wonder of the scenes even while not being absolutely sure what they mean.
          What I know is that I see children communicating like this all the time. Many a conversation have I had with children wondering how things work. I know what it is like to hold back my many bits of knowledge because I recognize where a child is in his or her discoveries, while, at the same time, enjoying listening to the way he or she is learning things I have known for a long time.
          If nothing else, I think I must look to God like my little friend who has recently understood how adding a 1 to any other number turns it into the next number. While I have the understanding to tell him what happens when you move into the two-plus tables, or learn to subtract instead of add, or begin playing around with multiplication and division, it was not my knowledge that was on center stage. It was a child’s wondering experience of understanding one more thing about numbers, and feeling that childhood joy that made him exclaim, “I love math!”
          If today’s meditation on God’s word is nothing more than learning how the one-plus tables work, then I hope I can stir up your enthusiasm for God’s word with my declaration, “I love the book of Revelation!” If, instead, I just shared with you a bunch of rubbish thoughts that needed to be cleared out of my head so I could settle into what God is really saying, I have seen children learn like that many times as well. Wait for my next post and see what I have learned!
          And, since the earliest I will be preaching on this passage is five days away, I am sure I will really get this passage by Sunday morning. With the Holy Spirit as my teacher, I can hardly wait for the next insights into God’s word, no matter whether the Spirit’s focus is teaching, reproving, correcting, or training.[6] I know that what is waiting for me is the peaceful feeling of wonder that fills the heart of those who are willing to become like little children in order to get to know their heavenly Father better than they have ever known him before.

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com
Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)



[1] Matthew 18:3; Mark 10:5; Luke 18:17
[2] Mark 10:13-16; Isaiah 40:11
[3] Revelation 1:3
[4] Revelation 6:12-17
[5] Revelation 6:12-14
[6] II Timothy 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment