Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Pastoral Ponderings ~ Beloved Sons in the Beloved Son

          “Accepted”. That is the word that popped into my head as I was getting up this morning.

          My childhood coincided with the end of the glory years of the King James Version of the Bible (KJV). At the time, it had been around for just over three-and-a-half centuries, which meant it was both well-respected, and vocabularily outdated.[1] By the late seventies, my experience with Bible College introduced me to the New International Version (NIV), promising to be an accurate translation, but with contemporary language. Shortly after this, I discovered that some of my professors preferred the New American Standard Bible (NASB) as a more precise translation than the NIV, but with updated vocabulary from the KJV.

          After settling into the use of the NIV for the first couple of decades of my pastoral ministry, I discovered that there was another new presentation called the English Standard Version (ESV). This came at the same time as worldly publishers were watering-down the NIV so that it was no longer a respectable edition, and were presenting what seemed to be a plethora of submissions that were not true translations of the Bible at all. The ESV promised to be both contemporarily readable, and textually accurate. That is where I presently spend my time searching out the Scriptures and seeking to live by every word that comes from the mouth of God.[2]

          I present this preface to introduce the reason that, when scriptures pop into my head, I have to do a bit of searching to discover which translation I am remembering. When I do a comparison of translations, I sometimes find myself disappointed that the translation I remember first is not really the best translation after all.

          So it is with this word that popped into my head this morning. I woke up with the phrase, “accepted in the beloved,” ringing in my head.[3] This idea of being accepted by God in the Lord Jesus Christ is foundational to my understanding of relationship with God. We are not accepted by God as though we had auditioned for some “Got Talent” competition, and blew God away with our hidden gift. Acceptance with God does not look like worldly judges overwhelmed with shock because someone just presented the most amazing performance in stark contrast to their age or appearance.

          Acceptance with God through the Lord Jesus Christ is to be just as received by God as a son through the sheer grace of God as Jesus is accepted as a Son through the absolute glory of his holiness, righteousness, and all around good behavior. Jesus, the Beloved, is the Son of God by nature, by existence, by inherent divine identity and perfection. However we would expand this to try to describe the wondrous relationship of the Son to the Father, the point is that Jesus deserves to be the Son of God. It is his right, his inherent reality.    

          So, when I wake up in the morning with God reminding me that I am accepted in the Beloved, and I do a bit of research to find the Scripture that popped into my head, and discover it is ye olde King James Version wording replaying in my head (a good sign if this is a memory test), and then I compare this to the other three translations mentioned above, I find that none of the others present that same wording. Side-by-side, Ephesians 1:6 looks like this:

KJV
NIV
NASB
ESV
“accepted in the beloved”
“he has freely given us in the One he loves.”
“He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.”
“he has blessed us in the Beloved.”

          What became clear is that the older wording of the KJV focused on my standing in Christ, while the other three translations direct attention to what I have received from God because of Christ. “Accepted” makes me look at God wrapping his arms around me in that way my soul longs to feel, while “freely given”, “freely bestowed”, and “blessed”, all call me to wrap my arms and heart around the “glorious grace” that is the source of all God has given me in Christ.

          This led me to consider whether this picture of being “accepted in the Beloved” is an accurate way of thinking of my relationship to God. Perhaps there are other places in the Scriptures that say identical things, or other words that convey the same meaning.         

          When I read the whole of Ephesians 1:5-6 in the ESV, I discovered that the thing I was looking for was right there in the context. These verses read, “In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.”

          The reality of “adoption as sons” is the glorious expression of what I was looking for. Accepted by God? Yes, but as sons, not as slaves. God does not accept me just because I am the tag-along sibling to the one he really wanted to adopt. This is no Jacob barely enduring the Leah he was tricked into marrying as the necessary process of receiving the Rachel he truly wanted in the first place.[4]

          All those who have faith in Jesus Christ are adopted as sons through the faith in the same Savior. All are predestined into the same sonship through the same love. The purpose of God’s will for one son of God is the same as all the rest of the sons of God. The grace that saves one sinner into sonship is just as glorious as the grace expressed in the salvation of every other sinner. The blessing given in the Beloved is the same blessing experienced by all God’s children.

          The point for me was that I needed this reminder of my adoption as a son of God in order to orient myself to God’s view of my life and standing with him. This was for my sake that he wanted to comfort me with the certainty of my place in him.

          At the same time, this was to get me aimed in the right direction for following Christ through this day. There need not be any diversions into performances aimed at winning God’s approval. God has approved of his Son’s sacrifice on my behalf. None other is required.

          So, next time I get an email that tells me to watch some amazing performance where people honor God with their astonishing talent, and I discover that they actually dishonor God with their song-choices, and win the approval of judges who dishonor God with their life-choices, I will remind myself where this true acceptance and approval really come from.

          Those who have faith in Jesus Christ have been adopted as the sons of God into the highest, most amazing, relationship in the whole universe, the same relationship as exists between God the Father and God the Son. The Son of God is not ashamed to call us brothers.[5] There are no second-class citizens in God’s family by nationality, sex, occupation, or any other standard we can imagine, for “in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.”[6]

          Jesus Christ is the Son of God by nature, but we are the sons of God by adoption “according to the purpose of his will.” Jesus is the Son of God by his inherent glory, while we are the sons of God by “his glorious grace."

          So, while the exact phrase, “accepted in the beloved” is not the best translation of the original language, the word of God does present the reality of what I originally had in mind, that I am accepted, welcomed, approved, received, as a son of God in every way my heart could ever desire, and this adoption as a son of God is most definitely the way he “has blessed us in the Beloved.”

          So, my time with God began with this wonderful thought ringing in my heart, and ends with a whole symphony sounding out the praises of the God who gives us the desires of our hearts as we delight ourselves in him.[7] I am beloved in the Beloved. Now, I pray that I will remember that thought all throughout the day as clearly as it first popped into my head this morning!

© 2014 Monte Vigh ~ Box 517, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8 ~ in2freedom@gmail.com

Unless otherwise noted, Scriptures are from the English Standard Version (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.)




[1] My spell-check says that “vocabularily” is not a word, but it conveys the sense of what I wanted to say here. Since It is not really a word, I don’t know how to check for synonyms!
[2] Matthew 4:4
[3] Ephesians 1:6
[4] The telling of this historical event begins at Genesis 29
[5] Hebrews 2:11
[6] Galatians 3:26
[7] Psalm 37:4

No comments:

Post a Comment